Motor Bike Indicators, Blinking Very Quickly

Guest Jumbo

Just fitted new smaller motor bike indicators (non LED) and they are blinking like the clappers, is there a difference on voltage between the two that I have not taken into account and how do I rectify please?

Thanks in advance.

I fitted ballast resistors to mine since I couldn't find a 21W bulb that would actually fit given the lens cover was also a lot smaller.

I can have a look later to see what resistance they were - cant remember of top of my head but only cost a couple of quid from Maplins.

Thanks for all the replies guys,

Seems my choice is either buy some "ballast resistors" as per iank (look forward to hearing back with specific details) or new unit as per the other replies.

Thanks again.

You are looking for 25 Watt 6 ohm resistors as a minimum. Preferably go for 50 Watt resistors.

These can be mounted onto a metal surface as an extra heat sink. (Especially for the 25 watt ones)

Something like these (only that they can be found cheaper than that :) )

http://www.ebay.com/...0-watt-resistor

Simon.

I had the same issue. Just get a new, led specific relay. It works using electronic magic rather than resistance, costs less than a tenner and takes as long as replacing a relay to fit.

IMO anything else is a bodge, and whilst I like a bodge as much as the next Robin Hood owner, I also like safe electricks.

Look at this on eBay:

Fix Flash Rate Turn Signal Flasher Relay LED indicator bulbs 3 PIN CF14 JL-02

http://bit.ly/1f0raAL

Whilst I agree with not bodging I also think that motorcycle indicators are almost invisible and add to the accident rate.

My somewhat personal view is to make it over obvious to other road user what you intend. Blind them so that there in no excuse.

flame suit fitted.

-Ian

Just fitted new smaller motor bike indicators (non LED) and they are blinking like the clappers, is there a difference on voltage between the two that I have not taken into account and how do I rectify please?

Thanks in advance.

buy a motorbike LED indicator relay (a Honda one has only two wires ) and fit...the LED motorbike indicators do not draw enough current to flash the lights at the correct rate on a car relay.

my honda compatible relay cost less than £20. cured my problem instantly.

oops not LED lights ......then check that they are first of all 12V not 6V and they are 21w not 5w, should sort it for you.

An LED relay will likely sort your issues anyway.....

Edited by snowy2