Super Computer

speedtripledan

No one has mentioned the Linux route which can take a moderately powered PC and turn it into something rather quicker than you'd think.

My most powerful PC only has a quad core pentium with 4 Gigs of ram and that can code and recode between various video formats, rip DVDs and re-code to XviD format etc. (Ok, it does use Windows for that and doesn't do much else) but I also have another machine running dedicated linux and there is over 40,000 free software programs available for it.

It might be worth considering.

Simon.

Guest Alan_builder

If you are doing serious video editing you will run raid 0 accross 10 discs with the fastet CPU you can afford.

Mac = £££££

Linus or Good old Win if you can't use linux.

let face it, there's no point spending your life savings. Any new pc/mac/etc available today will play hd video, and will edit it, albeit at differing speeds depending on what you spend. Decide what you can afford and buy a new one with as much ram, hdd space, and cpu power you can find.

You can save money on a monitor and connect up to your tv, if that suits you.

No one so far has asked the budget.

I did ask but Dan hasn't said yet.

Video editing is 1 thing will you be using it just for editing or will it be used for gaming, media, downloading, work or non legal activity's :db:As setting it up just for editing wont be set up right for keeping your work document's on it

Another + for linux. Don't personally like MAC think they are far too expensive for what they are when compared with a pc and if you buy an all in one it is hard to change bits. I also get mad that they don't have a standard vga output or hdmi port (well the ones at work don't) so you have to buy more white bits of crap plastic to do something that should be standard.

I built a PC 1 year ago for about £250 with a 3.3GHz triple core (probably a spare core kicking around if i use the ASUS core unlocker on the motherboard) AMD 64bit with 8GB ram (can take 16GB) with HDMI output and USB3 ports. Using ubuntu linux 64bit. Boots in 35 seconds on a standard 7500rpm hdd.

I used it to create a HD 3D animation using Blender which is massively intensive on the processor. Never failed me.

I would look at hybrid drives which are fractionally slower than solid states but are so much cheaper/larger capacity.

For work i have a 2/3 year old HP laptop nothing too fancy i3 2.4ghz dual core 3gb ram 7500rpm hdd and i can run CS5.5 photoshop, CS5.5 Dreamweaver, firefox, skype, music etc all at the same time without too much slow down. Most modern computers will do what you need. Guess it comes down to preference and budget.

just my thoughts

I'm using a 2013 Mac mini with 16gb ram to edit hd video (multi angle wedding video). The biggest limitation is storage really. Ideally need the extra hd, so check out the Mac mini server.....or fit the caddy yourself.