Testing Modern Coil Packs, Tin Top Problem

Andy Spencer

Morning all

Having a bit of a problem, our 2010 Galaxy Ecoboost petrol has developed a misfire and hesitancy, especially when cold or humid and damp.

I'm suspecting one of the coil packs is failing. No fault codes being generated. £80 each so replacing all 4 is not an option!

I've got one of them off, 3 pin connector, tried to measure resistance across the three and also from spark plug connector to all 3 and can't get any readings.

Anyone know how to test one so I can do all 4 to see which is faulty?

Cheers

post-985-0-29800600-1381571522_thumb.jpg

It states that primary and secondary resistance are incapable of measurement which is what you are finding.

It also gives you the internal wiring diagram which confirms the above. It seems like it can alter the actual spark size (voltage) depending on the signal from the ECU.

The internal diode from the HT terminal means you may be able to measure resistance one way, but not the other. (try swapping your leads over)

You could try wiring these up off the car with one of the spark plugs and test, BUT BE AWARE OF 10,000 to 33,000 volts OR MORE. You would need to supply +12 volts and ground and the switch terminal to go from +12 to ground and back again. When you go from +12 to ground it switches off the transistor which produces the spark from the collapse of the magnetic field. If the spark plug body is also connected to ground, you will get a spark from it.

It has an internal transistor to switch the power on and off.

You "may" be able to see if any is producing a weak spark, but unless you have any way to measure the voltage produced, it's unlikely that you will see any difference.

Try and get a replacement from a scrap yard, MARK IT so you know which one it is and replace each coil pack in turn until the problem is resolved.

Simon.

have you checked/changed the plugs. nice cheap easy option. I had a misfire. marks garage found a cracked plug ,only a few months old too and good brand.

worth looking in case its that

Thanks yes plugs changed since problem started. Actually started in France in July, very intermittently, gradually getting worse, especially bad when cold and damp now weather has turned......still anxious it's not the coil packs. Might drive up to Marks garage to get a sensible diagnosis but it seems to get better once warmed through.....

I had a similar problem with my wifes Smart try looking at engine in the dark whilst running it turned out to be a plug lead tracking out at one of the coilpack ends only did it when damp conditions found it by running it in the garage with the light off cured by self amalgamating tape as set of plug leads is £90 been tickety boo now for 3 years!

Hope this helps

D

Thanks yes plugs changed since problem started. Actually started in France in July, very intermittently, gradually getting worse, especially bad when cold and damp now weather has turned......still anxious it's not the coil packs. Might drive up to Marks garage to get a sensible diagnosis but it seems to get better once warmed through.....

pop up whenever your ready, we will have a look for you

• 2 weeks later...