Possibly Zetec Into Rh 2B

Guest Griffgriff

Guest Griffgriff

Hi I've recently purchased a 2b,

Asking for info on the best/easiest engine instal option? The car currently has rear diff and prop to run a 2 litre pinto set up, the engine and gearbox is no longer with the car. My rough thoughts are leaning towards either the 2.0 Zetec or the st170 engine, or possible a vauxhall red top?I know I'm asking for a lot of info but could anyone advise me of options and parts I'll need ie any conversion kits available to get the Zetec in the 2b?, gearbox options? Can I run the standard injection and ecu? Or do I have to switch to bike carbs/throttle bodies, thanks in advance for any info!

Hi,

I seem to think that the st170 is not favoured as it is difficult / expensive to control the vvt.

Zetec and red top both good choices and loads of information in this club on how it's done...which I'm sure others can help you with.

Another option is the Nissan engine which another member is doing at the moment.......

I've just gone from pinto to a 3.9 rover v8....of which there are a few other members in the club that also have v8 so the help is plentiful.

It's hard to say what is the best....or what is easy.

My advice would be to decide on the type of car/engine package you want and what it will mostly be used for and plan from there. Don't compromise the plan as your project develops as you may find you've spent a lot of time and money....and it's not the satisfaction you had in mind.

Guest Griffgriff

Thanks,

I've also read a lot of posts regarding vvt problems on the st, I'm leaning towards the red top or 2.0 Zetec, looking for around the 150bhp mark to start with, which of these two options is simpler to work with a type 9 box? Back in the day I had a front wheel drive nova running a red top on carbs, and from what I remember ( many years ago) the ecu side of things was relatively simple to get up and running, is it possible to install a red top with the standard injection? Are mounting kits for the engine readily available? What is needed to convert a red tip or a Zetec to rwd? A lot of ?????'s I know, thanks in advance for any help

Guest Alan_builder

Hi GriffGriff,

It's DIY. The 2B was made for the 2L pinto or some the DOHC.

Some members may have patterns for engine mounts etc but which engine?

See my web for the conversion of a 2B/04 from pinto to Zetec.

All the new engines will give 150 BHP.

Guest Griffgriff

Hi

All I know is the previous owner installed a Sierra 2l twin cam, which was removed and sold before I got my hands on the car. I'm thinking the kit came to him ready to install that engine, will take a look on your web, cheers

a reasonable redtop on twin 45s or bike carbs will give around 175bhp, simple tuning for 200.

Need a fair few bits tho'....

ally sump, inlet manifold, carbs, ignition, bigger rad, bellhousing, clutch plate cover & bearing, engine mounts

ARP rodbolts, brake pedal mods to avoid carbs.

But hell, is it worth it!!

i have a zetec in my kit, its a great engine and will be the easiest and cheapest to fit mine runs a webcon ignition (not rated by most but seems perfectly good to me) and 45 weber carbs which has just laid down 152bhp at the wheels on the rolling rd.

Webers arent cheap so if cost is an issue bike carbs are cheaper. The none standard bits you will need are engine mounts and an exhaust other than that its pretty much a blend of ford bits.

I have a 2.0 blacktop running standard injection and standard ecu. Very simpy to wire up and above all very cheap. With the exception of the GBS plenham chanber, I fitted all the injection system, loom,ecu etc for about £100. It has the original ford immobiliser, OBD socket for diagnostic/live data and starts first turn of the key every time. No rolling road set up, easy emissions and nice smooth usable power. If you want a "locost" solution that just works, I would recommend it. for some reason I cant turn off underlined text so sorry if this appears odd........

Guest Griffgriff

Great!Thanks for your help ^^^^

DanE what sort of price was your web con ignition? Thinking of going 2.0 blacktop with bike carbs, what mm carbs are recommended?

hi I am just starting my pinto zetec conversion just gathering parts together parts so far 2ltr blacktop cvh starter 1.8 flywheel engine mounts bike carbs inlet manifold parts still to order megajolt and floor mounted pedal box