Coil Over Shocks Which Brands To Go For

agent_zed

Hi,

collecting thoughts on which brands of shocks to go for on my 2b. I am aiming for budget as i think i will quickly go beyond the limitations of the suspension design of the 2b and it won't be worth the extra.

The ones i know of

Gaz,

Avo

spax

protech

procomp

shocktec

emailed shocktec and they will do -

50mm aluminium body with a 16mm piston shaft, they have 13 clicks damping adjustment and the full body length for ride height adjustment. Bonded bushes for top and bottom fixings. For £80+vat each with a bit off if i buy four.

anyone used shocktec? they look nice units on their pics and are fully rebuildable.

what are peoples thoughts?

Will prob buy gaz to be honest as the price is starting to get a bit high for the 2b as its never going to be a track car, but thanks for the heads up ;)

Forgive the digression, but I'm with t'other Dan.... unless you're going Gaz Golds I wouldn't bother (even then I don't think I would) - Protechs (via procomp, or direct) aren't significantly more expensive than GAZ are they? About £100 a corner...?

Forgive the digression, but I'm with t'other Dan.... unless you're going Gaz Golds I wouldn't bother (even then I don't think I would) - Protechs (via procomp, or direct) aren't significantly more expensive than GAZ are they? About £100 a corner...?

The chap at the show was saying around £400-450 + vat so getting too far out of my budget, as i'd quite like to spend some money on other bits too. I thought Gaz were getting good reviews on here generally? seemed to be the go to shock i thought.

What other brands are around these days? spax? AVO?

I know of plenty of bad experiences with GAZ with regards to track or motorsport use (ie. hard use) but I think it's a case of "pays your money; gets what you get". But £450+VAT for GAZ, then like I say you can get Protech for that money. In that sort of budget range there's no point looking at others... AVO, Bilstein, AST, Proflex, Penske, Reiger... all progressively more expensive.

The chap at the show was saying around £400-450 + vat so getting too far out of my budget, as i'd quite like to spend some money on other bits too. I thought Gaz were getting good reviews on here generally? seemed to be the go to shock i thought.

What other brands are around these days? spax? AVO?

pro comp £208 a pair inc vat delivered + springs which you can get through the members discount section.Thats dyno'd matched pairs with valving changed to suit light weight cars. I replaced the fully working avo's, they were to hard. on damping 1 i had no suspension the procomps i,m running at damping 5 with nice soft suspension but have the abilty to adjust either way now with a fantastic improvement in rd manners

just don't go to pro-tech or pro-comp with an exmo and expect help...they're just not interested and almost rude!...Dampertech on the other hand, who supply gaz shock couldn't be more helpful and so I know where my money is going!

When all said and done....its an exmo....it's not going set the world on fire and so I'm not ar5ed if it has gaz or procomp at each corner.....either is going to be better than p100 shocks and zimmers at the rear!!

Sorry if this is going further off topic :sorry:

just don't go to pro-tech or pro-comp with an exmo and expect help...they're just not interested and almost rude!...Dampertech on the other hand, who supply gaz shock couldn't be more helpful and so I know where my money is going!

When all said and done....its an exmo....it's not going set the world on fire and so I'm not ar5ed if it has gaz or procomp at each corner.....either is going to be better than p100 shocks and zimmers at the rear!!

Sorry if this is going further off topic :sorry:

as its a non convertional weird design i,m not surprised :db: steel bars would be give you more suspension than the set up you have :air_kiss:

can anyone confirm shock sizes required. from my readings i think i need

350lb springs all round

front - 13inch open 9inch closed?

rear - 14inch open

what spring lengths would i need? can you fill in the blanks?

thanks