My New Ikea Exhaust Build

agent_zed

So still working on getting this all on and working. Thinking about how to mount the exhaust. Is there any reason i shouldn't have a captive nut on the inside of the silencer that the bobbin screws into?

I won't be able to tighten the bobbin up that tight as i won't have anything to turn on, maybe stilsons on the wide part of the bobbin?

would that work ok? or should i leave the nut lose (ie unwelded) and just tighten it up as normal. Captive nut has the advantage that it's not going to rattle loose at any point. I can get to the inside of the can either way as i have it repackable.

thoughts?

• 2 months later...

So after far too much time i have finally got a fully function stainless steel exhaust system to replace the twin pipe RH one.

Heres a few pics of the finished article and how it got there

Manifold mid construction

avslyx.jpg

Manifold in engine bay. I've managed to work it so i didn't have to move anything and can even get it out with only having to loosen the alternator.

qoj8sz.jpg

Flanges that Laserman cut to my specs. This is how i separate the manifold from the rest

r9g26r.jpg

Flange welded and bolted up to exhaust

2zz1bua.jpg

Exhaust in place. Going to cut the tail pipe a little shorter but pretty pleased with it overall.

ekovt0.jpg

Thanks guys

my orginal prices in first page were

Incase anyone is interested the costs so far

2x ikea bowls ~£3.50

2x mandrel bend 45degree 2" £22

1m stainless 2" tube £11.50

50cm perforated 2" tube £6

(delivery £7)

Total for can - £50

For the 4-1 manifold

4x 180 degree stainless bends £29

pinto flanges and connection flanges 10mm stainless £32

Total for manifold - £61

+ Argon and wire ~£25

+ wadding £15??

Total for complete system £151

Have to adjust above though as wadding was cheaper at £7

but needed a 90 bend instead of the 45 i'd bought so had to spend £13 for a new one. Think prob also bought another argon at £14

So £151 - £8 + £13 + £14 = £170

which from the prices i've seen is less than half price?

Admittedly it could be neater in certain places and if i did it again i'd perhaps look for different bowls are they are 0.5mm thick so welding that was hard as i'm not the best welder in the world. Would also be neater if Tig rather than Mig but i am reasonably happy with it. The last primary on the manifold also has a bit of a sharp edge as it was the only way i could get the pipes to fit sadly although i am still hoping that it is an improvement on the ford cast manifold as i think it is still smoother than that.

I haven't run it much yet so don't know if it will be a problem in the long term but to keep cost down i've wrapped the perforated tube with proper wadding and then filled the rest with loft insulation :) which seems to be working. The system is repackable though as if you look closely there is allen head bolts holding the end piece on.

The system is 2inch straight through as well so no baffles like the RH one so i am hoping that will help performance too.

Now have to think about a manifold for the lovely bike carbs i have sitting in the garage :)

• Like 1