Fuel Tank Sender Seal Leak

Guest Mark Cosh

Guest Mark Cosh

gave the car a shake down today and pushed it hard only to discover a nasty leak when cornering from fuel tank.

have identified source as the sender seal, i removed to find of the 4 bolts welded to the tank, 2 had been over tightened and riped a hole in the tank.

so i guess my optiins are, 1 removed tank, reseal with tank repair, drill 4 holes and place new bolts through the neck of tank hole?

2. buy a different tank?

unless any one has any better ideas?

Edited by MarkC

If you are using the Ford sender unit you can mod it as i did by fitting the original petrol tank boss from a ford tank, cut it out of the tank and bolt inplace, your sender will just screw in as it was intended to. info & pic in my garage. HTH

you can cut a flange from plate (4 to 6mm) drill and tap to match your tank /sender

fit studs to the ring

cut a slot between 2 of the tapped holes..... you can thread it in and hopefully fit it inside the tank without loosing it inside

worked ok on mine

Guest Mark Cosh

took te tank out today and having a plate made to rebolt too. thanks for advice. unfortunately the car developped another problem today on a longer run using up the full tank before removing with oil blowing and a temp misfite. will create a new post under engine.