Help Needed, Rounded Bolt Head.

Jamiep

Hi guys, HELP!

Once again I'm stuck working on my Mazda 6 MPS instead of the kit, and once again a simple job has spiralled into disaster zone.

I'm trying to change the timing chain and VVT unit on this car and its already taken 4 days to get this far after trying for two days to release the crank bolt I resorted to reassembling everything, cranking the engine with a bar on it which worked but has thrown out the timing.

This would not have been a problem as I can reset as I'm going but, I have now stripped the head of a bolt on the front engine cover and cant get it off :unknw:

I don't have any welding gear or burning gear so its either angle grinder, if I can get it in or hacksaw.

Anybody got any Ideas? I'm almost at the point of setting fire to it :sorry:

2013-11-19105432_zpsb934cefd.jpg

PS. its a Mazda L3 engine with turbo which is Ford based if that help :rolleyes:

Guest mower man

Next size smaller socket and knock it on ? i.e if it's 10mm 8or9 , there are some spiral drive sockets on the market which are only for undoing such issues but may only be for wheel nuts etc ebay? HTH mower man

Those bolt heads with an integral washed are a nightmare because the head is shallow and the flats always have some taper on them so they strip easily.

Looking at where it is, I'd smack the end of the bolt a good few times with a hammer to shock it loose, hacksaw a slot in the head down as far as the washer part and then get it out with a decent flat bladed screwdriver.

thanks for the responses, unfortunately I cant get to it to get a wrench on it due to webbing on the casting, those Bergen sockets might do the trick well have to walk to Halfrauds and see if I can find something similar. I have managed to tap on a 1/2" socket on (originally 13mm) and put some tape on head but still spins. Cant get a 12mm on and not enough room to hammer it on.

Think I'm going to have to remove the engine fully and attack it that way, should have done this in the first place, would probably have done it by now. :aggressive:

bolt is now out, thanks for all the suggestions, it had very restricted acces with the engine in but with it out I managed to hammer on a 13mm Irwin the drive it off by stricking it a few times with an impact driver then resorted to 450nm impact wrench which struggled at first then it came free.

Bolt head is knackered but should be able to pick one up tomorrow from fastener supplier. now onto the Timing chain and VVT.

Btw when the bolt came out it had some sort of epoxy putty on it which still smells like Araldite but wasn't set hard, don't think it was factory stuff so could have been the cause of the problems.