Pinto Injection Conversion

baj25

Like many before me I’m thinking of injecting my pinto and would like thoughts on wisdom/options etc of doing so. Pinto currently has DGAV, FR32 cam, electronic ignition with dizzy and did 118bhp at the wheels on RR (with loose spark plug and knackered HT lead!). I’m not after more top end, just more throttle response. If I do convert I’m looking at megasquirt. So, is a standard injection set up controlled by MS a reasonable starting point? Will I get what I’m after using this or if not, what is better? TIA, Bri

Most find that bike throttle bodies and MS are about optimum

You can use the standard injection with MS to good effect

You would certainly need aftermarket ECU with your cam as standard Sierra injection ECU can't adjust for anything more than an FR34

I would go for the standard pinto injection manifold with single throttle body to keep things simple. There's one on ebay at the moment for 99p including injectors, fuel reg and throttle body. Add some larger injectors that with the right mapping will give you more go when you put your foot down, but you'll still get good mpg when you're being sensible.

You'll need to add a fuel return and a swirl pot, low pressure and high pressure fuel pumps too.

If you decide to go for it I've got the low and high pressure pumps that were on my car in it's early life, some bosch cream injectors from a vauxhall redtop and some bosch black/grey injectors from a vauxhall z20let on the shelves in the garage that might be of use to you.

Guest old_timbo

I converted to injection from a carb as a mid step to supercharging. It is expensive and complex (lots of study required before building the ECU), probabaly cost well over £800 to do but knew I would need to control the fuelling and ignition timing very well when the charger was added. If I was staying NA I probably would have gone the bike carb route. I didn't notice any difference in top end, but a big improvement in smoothness, throttle response and bottom end torque - full throttle in 5th gear from 1500 rpm upwards. Much more civilsed than a carbed Pinto.

I used the standard injection manifold, temp sensor, fuel rail, throttle body, throttle pot and junked the rest. Megasquirt for the ECU and Saab 2.3 turbo fuel injectors (straight swap for the Sierra ones) Webcon fuel pressure regulator. After market swirl pot, Facet lift pump, Standard universal injection pump, Ford EDIS ignition, LC1 wideband Lambda system. Could have got away with the standard injectors, but these would have not flowed enough when the supercharger was fitted.

You will need an injection head. If not, you will need to mod. a standard head to have the pear shaped inlet ports to accommodate the injectors. Also the cam you have may be a problem if it has a higher than standard overlap. I had a Piper 285 which was great with a single Webber, but hopeless with a plenum chamber. No tickover below about 1700rpm. I had to change to the Piper OHC134 Injection cam which works well.

Many thanks for replies gents.

Re fuel supply, I was thinking of using pinto pump to feed swirl pot to feed HP pump- would that work? I fitted a return line so that is no prob. Thanks for the offer of the parts Steve, be funny to re-acquaint them with the pinto!

I’d pretty much convinced myself that standard injection was more straightforward route, and was aware of issue with hotter cams and standard ECU, but I thought MS could solve that. More research needed on that point. Head is injection already, so no worry there. I fancy supercharging as well, I’ll PM Timbo separately for advice, I’ve been reading up on that for a while but couldn't see how to fit under 2B bonnet!

Ta again, Bri

Guest old_timbo

The issue is with a hot cam and a plenum chamber with a single throttle body. I think it is something to do with pressure pulses back into the plenum at slow engine speed. Must admit I saw various posts about the problem, but was dubious until I experienced it for myself. Nothing MS could sort out.

I was lucky I have a non-standard taller bonnet on my 2B so the standard Sierra injection manifold fits underneath without the mods. others have had to make. By using a remote oil filter and a cut down dizzy (just to drive the oil pump) I made enough room to fit an Eaton M62 off a CLK Merc down the side of the engine underneath the inlet manifold.

I've got everything in pieces at the moment while I turn-up a smaller pulley for the charger (more boost :)) so I intend to take some photos. Lost the original lot when a SD card died.

Tim

just a thought but ive just converted by black top zetec to injection and I used the webcon combined swirl pot/fuel pump its the same size as a normal swirl pot and has a high pressure pump fitted and a fuel level trip switch to cut the pump if the fuel level drops due to lift pump failer etc