Headlight Alignmnet

Pete Mar

Gent's

I’m on the final straight in my 2 year Zero GT build and I am getting her ready for the IVA. Still have a load of trimming to do and check the speed calibration Etc on the digi dash. The other item I am trying to get to grips with is the headlight alignment. I was wondering if anyone has a trick to set this up without using an alignment checker.

Any hints and tips would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Pete

Guest Ian & Carole

If you place you daily driver square on the a wall, garage door you will get the required dip beam pattern on the wall all be it slightly higher and wider than the Zero, but it will show you what you are aiming for, no pun intended.

I put masking tape on garage door then put the kit in the same place and adjusted to get the same pattern if that makes sense.

Most IVA testers should allow you a little "tweak" during test if needed.

HTHs

I did the same as Ian. Nice flat area in front of a wall. Move the car as close to it as possible and at right angles. Transfer the centre-point of each headlamp to the wall, getting it as accurate as you can. Roll the car backwards half a car length with the steering absolutely straight.

Put a horizontal strip of half inch masking tape on the wall, just below but touching the marked centre points. Now put another two strips of tape at an angle of 20 degrees from the horizontal tape, going up and to the left, each with its upper edge below but just touching the marked centre points.

The dip beam should shine with its horizontal cut-off just touching the bottom of the tapes.

Nigel

post-21-0-05866600-1385469175_thumb.jpg

Guest davidimurray

The %age band they reference in the manual relates to the distance from the headlight to the beam position. So park the car on a level surface against the wall with the lights as close as possible. You should be able to see the beam pattern on the wall. Now measure the centre of the headlights on the wall, both in the horizontal and vertical position. The kick up should be just to the left of the headlight centre. Now push the car back as far as you can on the level surface. Measure the dsitance away from the wall. If the distance is 3m and the %age band you are going for is 1.5% then 3000 x 0.015 = 45mm. This is the tolerance band that the horizontal beam produced line should be relative to the headlight centreline you marked on the wall. You can do this at any distance from the wall bu the further the better for accuracy. Mine were close enough that the IVA man only had to lean on them to get them spot on.