Where To Find A Switch?

Guest Jomeo69

Guest Jomeo69

Evening all

Now forgive the title please, i haven't lost a switch on the car although sometimes i feel I'm going that mad.

Im trying to find somewhere to buy a switch that can be switched once to allow 12v through it but when the current drops off. i.e the ignition is turned off the switch resets back to being off, without the need to turn it off manually.

I've been looking on the usual cbs and other places but can't seem to find one.

Its probably very simple and easy to find i just don't know where to look.

If somebody could maybe poke me in the right direction that would be great.

Many thanks as always

joe

I've been looking at these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130873525981

Would they do the same job?

I understand they can be used with a momentary switch to turn a circuit on and off without needing constant power to the relay to keep it turned 'on'. So they could be used for switching the rear fog on for example whilst using a low voltage momentary switch.

But do they reset when the power is lost?

Hi Joe,

It may well be dificult to find such a switch and probably expensive if you do. You could do what you want with a momentary switch of your choice and a Relay. I have attached a picture of how to do it.

However, there are some issues that you would need to be aware of. In the first diagram, when you push the switch the relay will energise and close the contacts, which will then cause power to keep feeding the relay and hold it on. You may find that if you don't push the button for long enough the relay will not latch. Also if there is any dip in the voltage, it may cause the relay to drop out unexpectedly. The recomendation would be to NOT use a power relay for this and instead use a lower power relay say one from Maplins and have it feed the power relay. The Capacitor accross the coil can then be used to store energy should the voltage fluctuate and stop the relay from dropping out before you need it to.

Nige

post-2594-0-02020000-1385550314_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

connect a momentary switch to a normal relay (4 or 5 pin it doesn't matter)....

connect your ignition live to the momentary switch AND to pin 30 on the relay, earth pin 86 on the relay.......connect the second terminal of the momentary switch to pin 85 on the relay AND link it to pin 87 (NOT 87a if your using a 5 pin relay).....pin 87 (NOT 87a) on the relay is also connected to the devise you want to activate.

the devise switched on will only go off with the ignition, if you want to turn it off independently of the ignition switch its a little more complicated to wire up but still easy if you need to do it.

the above will give you a latching relay, it will be off until the the switch is activated and stay on so long as the ignition is on.....

Edited by snowy2

How much!!!

Try this at one tenth of the price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Touch-Electronic-Switch-Control-Relay-Bistable-Trigger-action-Circuit-Module-/251345659742?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item3a855e675e

One touch and it switches the relay on. A second touch and it turns the relay back off. Kill the power supply and the circuit drops back to the off state. I've just taken delivery of two ready for use on the Focus.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jomeo69

Morning all.

Hope you all had a great christmas and new year?

So today i took delivery of a pair of these

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a855e675e

Im sure they are exactly what i need which is excellent news.

My only issue is, what does what?

They say on the advert that pin descriptions come on the PCB, which would be fair enough if i could read what i think is Japanese.

Needless to say i can't so hence my question.

If ibrooks could maybe shed any light on this it would be grand.

Many Thanks as always

Joe

Morning all.

Hope you all had a great christmas and new year?

So today i took delivery of a pair of these

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a855e675e

Im sure they are exactly what i need which is excellent news.

My only issue is, what does what?

They say on the advert that pin descriptions come on the PCB, which would be fair enough if i could read what i think is Japanese.

Needless to say i can't so hence my question.

If ibrooks could maybe shed any light on this it would be grand.

Many Thanks as always

Joe

Joe

have sent you email with answer cant post pics for some reason

Mr D might have provided all you need but from memory (I'd have to go and actually look at the things to be 100% and I'm not going to be in the garage till tomorrow afternoon at the earliest).

12v and Gnd are labelled conventionally and are for the power supply. The remaining two terminals on the same side are for the switch. Short them together momentarily and the LED should illuminate along with a clunk from the relay as proof of concept (short them again or remove power and it'll go off). The 4 terminals on the other side are for your device and from memory the symbols are in pairs (two symbols repeated twice). When it's "on" it connects each pair of terminals. I have to admit I didn't check the separation of the two pairs as I'm only intending to have them throw another relay which will be carrying the load.

Iain

hope all sorted sorry I jumped in ( we are both Brooks!) sorted by pic of relay base from web

hope all have a great new year ( and can spend without the good lady finding out ) " no the new cosworth engine was only a few pounds on ebay dear " :rofl:

D