Windscreen Rubber Specification

Guest Oscarborder

Check with Simon at GBS, there are two thicknesses of windscreen rubber and one of them you will struggle for the rest of your born days to fit it, the other one will take you just about fifty or so years! :-)

I had a very troubled weekend involving rubber strips and fairy liquid about 18 months back now. Now normally that would be a cue for corny music and overdubbed gasps etc but it's safe to say that it was a weekend I had well and truly locked away into a "special" place. But unfortunately it now reminds me it ended in buying some Innotec windscreen sealant and using the GBS rubber cut into very thin strips as packers and squeezing that black gunk in there!!! Then I fitted the windscreen and wiped off the excess and let it set. Shimples!

Each to their own and some on here may have had a simple easy time, but mine was tragic! So Innotec to the rescue! Yay!

Hope that is of some use?!

Sharky

As Sharky says, if you have the wrong one (like I did), you will struggle!!

I opted for black exterior silicon sealant all round in the channel, fitted the screen and wiped the excess off, simples.

You can pop round to have a look if you want, (just excuse the small crack in the screen caused by struggling with the seal).

Drop me a PM if you want.

The rubber GBS ship with their windscreen kit I found to be too thick.

I used 1.5mm rubber from eBay and it fits perfectly, still tight but workable and it can be removed again and refitted. Yes I have proved that!

Bit of vaseline on the inside of the frame, vaseline on the glass edge and a cloth to push with.

To help put it together I created a jig out of a piece of chip board and 4 blocks of wood ( 1 for the top of the frame, 1 for each side and one to hold the bottom of the frame in place while the screws are fitted).

Ian