Pinto Oil Leak - Front Of Engine

Guest slimesub5

Guest slimesub5

Took my Sub K Hood for a track day at Snetterton on Sunday - What a blast!!

The 2L engine was rebuilt a short while back and sat for a while before getting put in the Hood. Anyway after a few laps on the track it developed an oil leak at the front of the engine. We were revving the engine up to 5500rpm regularly.

There is a small weep from the alternator, but I'm sure this is not the total cause. There is oil distributed inline with the front of the engine. First thoughts were the crankshaft oil seal as I don't remember putting any oil or vasaline around the seal.... So thought it may have torn the seal on start up?

Had a good look tonight just can't see the source. If it were the crankshaft oil seal or the aux drive seal would the cam belt not have got a douse of oil? It's dry!?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Guest old_timbo

I had a problem where the alumium oil seal holder on the front of the engine came loose. The two bolts behind the distributor / oil pump drive pulley are a pain to get at and check. The drive belt runs in front of it so keeps dry. Also make sure the cam box cover seal doesn't have a leak at the front. In my 2B the engine slopes down towards the front, and oil pools there. If the seal is less than perfect oil runs down the front of the engine.

Guest Phil_neast

Had a similar problem with our 2l pinto. it was the crank seal that was weeping, we had to take the pulley off( not easy to get off the keyway, we used a sliding hammer and welding wire !! to gently knock it off). We picked the seal out and replaced, it worked a treat.

Kind Regards

Phil.