Raised Coolant Temps.

Guest Gargoil

Guest Gargoil

Chaps, I have noticed during the last few journeys that the coolant temperature has been getting hotter, to the point where it's almost entering the red.

This is while travelling at about 70mph on a dual carriageway. As soon as the speed comes down, so does the temp. There doesn't seem to be any leaks, I am not loosing fluid and there's no water in the oil that I can see. The system seems pressurised (squeezing a coolant pipe) but I did have a problem with the radiator cap which originally made me think it was the fault. Does this sound like thermostat problems?

Engine in a mildly tuned 2.1 pinto and there is an expansion bottle on the system.

Cheers.

could be a multitude of problems its a case of finding it, my hood did something similar once when i changed the grill at speeds over 55 it stalled the air flow, it could be the water pump, stat if fitted hot air not escaping the engine bay rad fins blocked rad itself blocked. if you have a stat take it out and run the car and see what happens it should run colder at speed not a cure but a pointer as to what might be wrong.

If you havent changed anything recently and the engine is ok and not boiling up or losing fluid, I would start with the stat. Easy to get at and to check. Just put it in a pyrex jug and fill up with boiling water to see if it opens fully. They do go wrong as I have had two or three fail over the years. If theres any doubt replace as they are cheap enough.

Kevin

Guest Gargoil

Good news, although like my starter problem it is yet to be confirmed, it would seem that tightening the fan belt, just a touch, has solved the overheating (well done Blue).

However, thanks to all the other members as well, I may still be taking your advice, should the problem return, in warmer weather.

:clapping: