Difference Between A 1.6 And 2.0 Ltr Pinto

lockyer89

Morning!

Newbie Warning...

Picked up a 2B over the weekend, all the way up to Leicester from Reading way, and a 2 hr motorway journey in the car on the way home. Got it home without any problems, apart from having to fill up twice! ha

Standard apart from Kent Fast Road Cam, Kawasaki ZX6R 600 bike carbs and fuel pump. Which have got a slight misfire when the accelerator is full, apparently it was a lot worse - the fuel pump was relocated to the rear which improved drastically, but i'm guessing the timing needs slight adjusting...

I sat down and went through all the paperwork thoroughly and noticed the log book says 1600cc, and i was sold it as a 2000cc. I was wondering whether there was an easy tell tale sign between the engines?

I've attached a picture of the engine...

Thanks in advance!

Simon

post-12914-0-48696100-1386581462_thumb.jpg

Guest Alan_builder

Hello Simon,

Welcome to the Board.

I live in Hook so just down the road from you. Send me a PM if you want to pop round.

2L 1.6L engine differences, external none that you can see from the picture.

Have a search on the pages here. I have a feeling the engine size is coded into the engine serial number as is the date of manufacture. I don't think there is a casting 2L or 1.6L on the side of the engine. The serial number is below the exhaust to the front on a machined ledge. The internals are different, head, valves, pistons and crank shaft. 1.6L engine code is LCS and 2L engine code is NET & NES.

Your car looks like a sliding Pillar 2B. Kit available around the early 2000's.

Alan,

Thanks for the reply, great to know you're just round the corner, will bare that in mind. I have a busy few weekends leading up to Christmas, but over the holidays i may take you up on your offer, would be good to meet and have a chat!!

I'm not yet clued up on the car, i have a lot of research to do on the kit to get familiar with it.

I will check over the engine this evening and look for the engine code...

Welcome.

On the exhaust side of the block there should be cast-in numbers 20 or 205 if it is a 2 litre, 16 or 165 if a 1.6.

Bike carbs need setting up on a rolling road when installed, so if this has not been done it could cause the missfire. If it is running lean, it creates a lot of excess heat and can be dangerous for an engine.

And there's a few remnants of the once-vibrant Thames Valley Region about these parts if you want more help. We revelled in home visits to sort build problems out :good:

I'm close by in Twyford if needed.

There are also 2 types of 1.6 to my knowledge to make it more fun. A tall and a short for want of better words. My 1.6 is the eco version and is the same height block as the 2ltr with a longer stroke than the shorter 1.6.

Mine has 165 in huge numbers cast on the exhaust side.

Hopefully you have the 2ltr. if you don't and you want to replace it should be a straight swap. even easier with the tall 1.6 as everything should fit back in exactly the same place.

The '5' on the end i believe denotes the stronger later blocks eg. 165, 185, 205 as opposed to 16,18,20 blocks.

hth

Yes, that picture shows the casting numbers. The engine number will be stamped into the raised rectangular pad directly above them. you'll probably need to get some emery on it to clean the paint off back to bare metal before you can read the number.