Glasgow Helicopter Crash

Guest red7

I'm following the inquiry into the crash. Initial official results say not a mechanical failure. So what happened to cause it to fall out of the sky? Without a black box will it remain a mystery?

Dont know what height it fell from, but despite common misconceptions, it is possible to slow down the fall if the engine fails.

Its called an autorotation, search the web for some amazing vids.

The crash does seem a bit odd, most pilots would have headed for the river if at all possible.

As said this tragic crash had no auto rotation -- A/R involves building rotor speed until just before ground contact at which point the collector is raised to turn rotation into lift to lessen/cancel impact speed. The helicopter imprint in the building roof was exactly same size as its body & rotor blades appeared to have been snapped off at impact not splintered. So appears helicopter hit building in vertical descent with-out rotor turning. Must add this is my view only; I have no rotary wing experience as a pilot.

It was a twin engine model I thought if so fuel or electronics if the gearbox was ok

What is strange is that it takes some time for rotors to stop turning even when shutting down, you have to apply a type of handbrake device once revolutions are down low

Engine failure wouldn't stop the rotors so even in the event of both engines failing the rotors should still have been spinning. They are on a one-way clutch on the shaft so that even in the event of an engine or gearbox seizing solid autorotation is still available. If the craft is in a stationary hover it should be able to fall with the rotor spinning sort of like a sycamore seed to take some of the energy away. If there's some forwards momentum then even better as it can be flown a little like an autogyro for a short time. Depending on the height it's still going to come down with a thump but it won't just drop like a stone.

A mate has an autogyro which he flies tethered behind a tow vehicle. You can climb to the extent of the rope and then dive before pulling up to avoid hitting the ground. When pulling up the rotor loses speed and if you attempt the manouevre too many times in quick succession you'll find the hard way that too much rotor speed has been lost and you don't have enough lift to keep it off the floor. It takes time for the rotors to regain speed which they are getting from the tow-car's forwards speed.

For the blades to be stationary I'd guess they were trying this, ran out of rotor speed before they could get rid of enough vertical momentum but stalled the blades in the attempt. Why that situation came about I wouldn't guess at.

It would be interesting (if a little goulish for those of us that don't need to know) to hear the last radio transmissions or at least to know if they mentioned any problem as it was happening.

I'd bet we will never get a conclusive answer and just have to settle for the best theory.

Iain

• 1 year later...

Pilot magazine published the official report on the tragedy. Pilot ignored all visual and audio alarms warning him of fuel starvation. It's a mystery. Police advised to fit crash survivable flight and video recorders to their helicopters.

The biggest problem is the pilot has to keep flying, no matter what the issue -- unlike us who just pull over & head scratch with a bunch of mates until the problem is sorted.

The pilot was only at 1000ft ( I recall ) so had probably around 30/40 seconds to arrest the descent.