Gutted!

Guest lewthepoo

Guest lewthepoo

Just had some crushing news that I thought I would share with you all in the hope that you can pick me up/give me some advice on what to do next.

After emailing Richard at GBS about my Robin Hood Exmo and sending pics asking what it would take to get it through the IVA test I was told that I would be looking at around £1500 including the cost of IVA.

Not dissuade I took a day off work, hired a car & trailer and drove the 200 miles up to GBS to drop it off in order for them to give me an accurate quotation. I appreciated that this would perhaps be a little more than the £1500 guide price or maybe a little less, however I have just had a call saying I am looking at £4-5 thousand. To put it mildly I am absolutely gutted. I do not have this sort of money and furthermore I have just wasted a day’s holiday and the money in hiring a car and trailer in getting it up to Nottingham.

Not normally an emotional person, but I am close to tears at the moment. Spent hours and hours on this car and quite shocked at the price given to me from GBS. I can’t see how this is going to cost £4K to finish, I could buy and build a new car for this money.

Not really sure what to do now, was hoping to sort this out as a Christmas present for my dad who has helped me with the build at various stages (and has allowed use of his garage for years).

Does anyone have any advice for me as to what to do now?

Edited by Lewthepoo

Guest Alan_builder

Hello Lewis?

Delia how do you know it's Lewis?

Any way welcome to the board.

So IVA will cost you £450 and £100 for a retest.

If you can wait till after Christmas I will contact my local Hoodies and we can come visit, you will have to supply tea and hobnobs.

My contacts and I are experienced at looking at RH cars and “finding fault” for IVA. While we can't guarantee a pass we know most of the problems.

Can you put up pictures and a list of the items GBS identified.

Give me a PM.

Alan

please don't be too dis-heartened.

There was definatley an exmo that passed IVA not that long ago. I'm no expert as I've never been through IVA but from the reading I've done, the main points for robin hood mono's (outside the usual IVA stuff) are seatbelt mounts / heights and also seat fixings.

There are plenty of people on here that should be able to point you in the right direction to get the exmo through IVA. I would say to follow their advice and do the work yourself. Then put the exmo through IVA and if it does fail....at least you'll then have a list of things needed to put right and hopefully pass second time.

You'll probably find that if the exmo does fail....it will be because of those highly dangerous edges without rubber trm :crazy:

Guest mower man

I dont know what GBS hourly labour rates are or what would be required to get your car through the test but if most work is labour intensive cost can rocket add to this £550 for a test fail and retest and the price of any parts plus vat the bill is not going to be well into the 000'sbut as said by others join up get your locals to have a look and then reveiw your situation. Have they given you any idea what is required?, estimate or quote?, I agree it sounds steep but reveiw things and get to work mower man :sorry:

Guest peter2b2002

i think they were trying to get you to buy a zero at that price, as said above join you local group of hoodies the thames lot were always helpful as are all hoodies

peter2b

Guest Gargoil

I am still quite new to this forum, but I recently bought an Exmo that went through the test this year. Chris Russ was the guy that got it through the test and some of it is documented on this forum. I had nothing to do with the test but if there is something I can do to help, please feel free to ask, Dude.