seat belt mounting height

Strengthen steering mounting point

Fitment of cycle wing front arches as swept won't pass

Radius bottom of dash

Strengthen roll bar mountings

Strengthen pedal box mountings

None of this is a big deal and all can be done at home

Just approach 1 problem at a time

The only thing I paid anyone else to do was to weld a horizontal tube across roll bar at correct height for seatbelt upper mounts

Edited by Snapperpaul
  • Like 2

Guest lewthepoo

Hi again.

Really thankful for all of you posts, feeling quite positive about it now. Was just about ready to scrap it yesterday after speaking to GBS. I have to say that I've always thought of them as a good company to deal with and they have been quite helpful in the past but this has really angered me. I would have preferred it if they had just said they did not want to do it rather than tell me it is going to cost £4k to sort, was quite a shock at the time.

I have attached the pics that I sent to GBS.

I have not got a list of exactly what needs doing from them as yet, I will give them a ring later and ask for this.

With reference to Snapperpaul's post;

seat belt mounting height - Lower mounts are an issue, I will have to make up a plate to fix them lower than current position.

Strengthen steering mounting point - needs to be done.

Fitment of cycle wing front arches as swept won't pass - Sorted, just need a stop on the rack and cover sharp edges where I have cut chassis.

Radius bottom of dash - needs sorting, not sure what to do with this yet. Really want to keep the dash as mum helped with this and so has sentimental value to me.

Strengthen roll bar mountings - sorted, have plate underneath roll bar which is fixed to chassis.

Strengthen pedal box mountings - sorted. Doesn't move an inch when applying brake pressure.

Car 014.pdf

Apart from covering any and all edges with edge trim I can see no issues

Maybe wrap some plastic pipe with pipe insulation foam get mum to cover it and push over existing dash for IVA (attached at the back of dash) and I would chance an IVA test, worse case scenario is a fail list and a £90 retest fee

It all looks pretty good from the photos

Guest mower man

As above can't see any real issues get the list from GBS and work through it to the standard inthe pictures and get it tested ---- faint heart ne'er won the fair lady !!! yorkshire proverb mower man :crazy: :clapping:

Lew

As has been said, work through one at a time and they will soon disappear. Then get it in for an IVA test. The worse case scenario is that it fails, but you have a definitive list to work from (All for 10% of the cost for a company to do the owrk for you).

In fairness though GBS are a business and have to make money to survive. If I added up the time it's took me to do certain jobs and then applied an average garage hourly rate it would soon mount up.

Guest lewthepoo

Just had a chat with Simon at GBS. He was very helpful and is going to get a list together of what his concerns are with regards to IVA test. He did explain that the figure (£4k +) that I was given for completing for test was a worse case scenario and given that they do not know the car, they may find that there are further problems encountered.

He is going to sort out the indicator wiring for me (I found this to be a nightmare) and once I have it back with a list I can pick a few brains and work towards the IVA.

Thanks again for everyone's help on this

Edited by Lewthepoo

Guest Gargoil

Like the boot area, something that's on the list for myself, next year.

With respect to your front windscreen, if you are fitting a full one, it now requires a heater. Also I think that the test now requires indicators on the extreme edges of the body work (front wings), so if you are fitting the swept wings then repeaters can be fitted to these.

You probably knew all of that, so tell me to shutup if you did. :sorry:

Guest robinj66

I got my S7 through an SVA. It just requires thought and application of the manual.

I had to strengthen the pedal box and the steering column to satisfy Mr VOSA

I would also think about a heat shield to protect your servo/master cylinder from the headers.

Likewise I would wrap the clutch cable in heat mat.

You can do it :good:

whilst at gbs today i got to see the car in question, despite my previous comment i can now understand the price that gbs have thrown at it. There is bit more to do than just iva it. all of it can be done but it will take a lot of time simon explained to me that the figure he throw out there was a worst case scenario because as we all know when you scratch under the skin of kit car you never know what you will find.

Bit more time and persistence and it will one day find the rd.

Guest mower man

I dont think there was any thing that couldn't be done at home to be honest but it depends on getting stuck in and an amount of experience and skills my ops only mower man :crazy: