Another Zetec Conversion Thread!

Mounting the air temperature sensor in the filter backplate is convenient but not ideal. That plate gets hot. Probably 90 C. Thus the sender body gets hot. Some of that heat transfers to the element and gives a high reading. This doesn't matter in most of the installs I have seen as Omex don't put a fueling or ignition correction in their base maps, even though they could. Your rolling road tuner might want to do so. ie retard ignition and reduce fueling for hotter air. If you are not going to use these corrections you could put the sender anywhere you choose, including the bin. The Omex ECU would just default to 20C. If you are going to use these corrections then you must give thought to mounting the sender on an insulated support in the airflow.

As regards the back end of the ally sump to bellhousing flange it's usual to trim this to match the bellhousing and look at trimming/shortening the tin part of the sump to match the same profile. My raceline sump which matches the bellhousing profile still gets some hits.

Nigel

I had it mounted where you propose in the initial build. Measured 80C air on one rolling road session which cannot be the real air temperature entering the trumpets. Much of my air filter is exposed to the outside air through a cut-out in the bonnet and travels about an inch to get to the trumpet mouth so does not get heated.

The sensor now mounted in a rubber grommet on a little plinth which insulates it a bit and brings it more into the airflow.

Nigel

post-21-0-40560500-1391084630_thumb.jpg

Thanks Nigel, only just saw your picture, that's exactly what I plan to do, great minds!!

Just taking a look at my loom, it has a plug for an O2 sensor, after reading up about it on the Omex site it's basically just an option to keep emissions down, seeing as that's not an issue for us guys at the mo can it just go unused?

Put another way, will the base map run? Or will it be expecting a sensor?

Thanks again!

Base map usually comes set to run without lambda. Install omex carefully, go through the first start process to calibrate it to your car and it should run enough to make basic adjustments to cold start, idle and chug 30 miles to a rolling road. There is a 18mm hole in the exhaust that will take narrow band lambda, wideband lambda or a blanking plug. My vote is for the blanking plug.

Nigel

After a good day of lining bits up yesterday and plumbing in the swirl pot I've taken a few steps back today! Bloody pedal box again! I plumbed in all the copper pipes for the brakes and went to fit the reservoirs and realised the hole I had cut in the stupid slanted footwell bulkhead wasn't big enough! Out came the swirlpot etc and I tried to get in there to cut the hole bigger and I just can't! I can't get anything in there at the right angle. Ended up loosing it and trying to bend the edges to make the hole big enough. Now looks a total mess! Think I might need the worlds smallest disc cutter/angle grinder to fit in and cut!