Oil Pressure Switch Wiring

Guest minibigfinch

Guest minibigfinch

Evening all,

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I have fitted a standard blacktop zetec, and I'm using the smiths flight gauges, all from Gbs. I've fitted the smiths oil pressure sender, but not wired up yet. I spoke to Richard at Gbs, but I'm still unclear on this, do I need to wire in the standard ford oil pressure sender to the wiring for the smiths sender, or do you just forget about the ford one? If I have to use the ford sender as we'll is there a loom/lead I can get?or is it a simple single wiring job?

Any help to clear my confusion would be most appreciated!

Dave

On blacktop zetecs there are two or three sender ports into the oil gallery along the inlet side of the block. A sender can be screwed into any/all of them by removing the allen keyed bung that is already there although one will have had the ford oil pressure switch for the ford low oil pressure warning light already in it and screwing in a suitable sender.

The ford oil pressure switch is wired very simply. Ignition live supply to one side of the warning lamp, other side of the lamp to the switch. Simple. The switch earths back to the battery through the engine block when oil pressure is zero or below about 15 psi. Above that pressure the switch contacts are forced open, the circuit is broken and the light goes out. You only know if the light is out that pressure is above 15 psi (could be anywhere from 16 to 100) or if the light is on it's below 15 (could be anywhere between 0 and 14).

If you are fitting an oil pressure gauge then gauge and gauge sender will be wired according to the manufacturers instructions but the gauge sender shouldn't replace the ford oil warning light switch unless it has a warning light switch built in. Some do. You need both

Nigel

post-21-0-91037000-1387060912_thumb.jpg

Guest minibigfinch

Thanks for the responses,

I've been following several zero build blogs, and a couple of them have used an adapter lead as pictured for the ford oil pressure sensor which then connects to the Gbs loom. It is this adapter lead I'm after, or the plug connector at worst?

Davepost-5561-0-04442900-1387228798_thumb.jpg