Help

femster87

I went to a great expense to build a big workshop. I was very excited and I have been moving things into it. I have just woken up this morning to find out is has already been burgled. I am fed up with this. My little shed was burgled about 3 times. it stopped for a long time and I decided to build the workshop. Looks like I was wrong. I think it will be someone living in the area. I do not think this is the end of it. I am keeping stuff in the house now and I don't think the mrs will find it funny for much longer. These idiots are doing my head in.

I just want to get hold of one of them. I am going to have to spend a lot of money now to secure it, for how long, I don't know. Any garage security suggestions.

1st thing to do is install a proper alarm with ear splitting internal siren, 2nd is cctv nice and visable for the turds to see 3rd is infared beams around the access points that set off an alarm whilst the beams are broken 4th is plenty of bright halogen/led lights.

This is what i used to do for a living its also what i have on my garage let me know if you are interested i will certainly do you hoody rates on the labour

Guest Jonathan Tall

I've had this problem myself, and both times I was less than impressed by Plods comments, especially that my garage/s was insecure, but at least the first time I was warned that the b&%$£ds would be back for the (unfinished) car once they found a buyer....

Apparently minefields are illegal(!), but at least nowadays I have a very vigilant (and noisy) dog..

PS make sure your cctv records to a secure location, and (if possible) hide one of the cameras, that way you are more to get a view of a face (which DOES get PLODS attention, cos they can get a conviction)

Guest chrispine

PS make sure your cctv records to a secure location, and (if possible) hide one of the cameras, that way you are more to get a view of a face (which DOES get PLODS attention, cos they can get a conviction)

Didn't work in my case, plod knew who it was, just said the cctv was inconclusive, possibly because it was set to record for 10 secs, stop, start again when movement was detected, ear splitting alarm sounds good, no pun intended, also I believe, but wait to be corrected, if you want to use cctv for prosecution you have to have a warning notice up.

Chris

Guest peter2b2002

get a mains powered electric fence unit wired up to the door handle or door if metal with a sign up warning about electric fencing , not enough power to do any long standing harm just ouch, we did this to a gate next to the orchard after some d*ck head hopped over the gate and nicked all our plumbs

peter2b

Make sure it's as high resolution and low light performance as you can afford. A couple of well placed cameras of very good quality are worth more than lots of cameras. Also make sure lighting is good. 950nm infared isn't that visible to the eye (the red glow you see from some infra red systems.)

Not sure if you can use recordings from covert cameras, without a sign warning that CCTV is in use, worth checking into. Make sure recordings are time stamped.

All of the above doesn't see through a balaclava, so I would spend the several hundred on physical security and loud internal and external alarms / strobes.

Re CCTV - can anyone recommend any kit?

-ve recommendations of kit that just doesn't work/false economy is very useful, + hints on picking the right camera types

Thinking of 4-6 camera setups with solid state/hard drive recording on a loop - deterrent as much as anything else.

how much do you want to spend is more to the question? i fit these now good picture and decent night vision http://www.adata.co....-P400-E37-V2G40 trade only, i also fit these little 4 ch dvrs again good quality http://www.adata.co....AVALONHDL-4-1TB

Guest 2bsprint

I went down the route of CCTV card in a PC, with a mixuture of cheap Maplin's cameras and High quality cameras. With the PC, camera and my internet route is all on a UPS that has an UP time of about 2 -3 hours and finally the CCTV files are automatically copied onto a cloud storage at regular inverals through out the day and stored there for 6 months. I did think I had gone over board but when I hear stories like this, I am glad I did, especially when I can log onto the CCTV remotely from work and see what's going on

Guest 2bsprint

The cloud storage is an unlimited storage amount, you pay for the number of devices which you upload from. The software detects movement on the cameras and only record realtime in high quality when there is movement, the rest of the it does a single frame every x seconds, this means the file sizes are very small, especially on some of the camera. It works really good even though it is about 4 years old, I will probably upgrade some of the camera in the spring. This is the updated version PC board http://www.rapidos.com.tw/products_detail.php?c=2&n=2

Not sure if you can use recordings from covert cameras, without a sign warning that CCTV is in use, worth checking into. Make sure recordings are time stamped.

I believe, but wait to be corrected, if you want to use cctv for prosecution you have to have a warning notice up.

I would say these are all urban myths. Police secured a conviction using our CCTV footage, and no signs are present. The cameras cover private land only, though. At the end of the day, if you've got some timestamped quality footage showing a clearly distinguishable face, the police will use it (or they certainly will round here).