Mot Or Not To Mot

nigelt

I am sure this has come up in the past, but having had the 2B registerd in Nov 2013, does it now need to have an MOT or is it classed as a new car for the first three years?

Thanks

Nige

It depends on who you ask (assuming you could actually talk to the DVLA or VOSA on the phone).

Your only problem will be taxing the car online without an MOT, but there's a work around here:

http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=32201&&do=findComment&comment=252020

This is what I've done the last 2 times. The 3 year anniversary of my IVA will be this October so I'll need an MOT before then but as my current tax expires in April, I'll probably MOT in March and then tax online when the reminder is sent out.

The official position is that it is classed as new built in (registration date) and will require an MOT after 3 years

In the past some local DVLA offices have required MOT after first year but as all these have closed DVLA Swansea now administer and I expect them to follow current principle of 3 years after first registration.

My own personal view is that only a kit car built with all new parts and registered on a current new registration plate should have a 3 year gap and all age related and Q plates should MOT after first year

That's just my view

• Like 1

Guest Ian & Carole

When you get your V11 "Reminder to get a tax disc or make a Statutory off Road Notification (SORN)" below the

Make

Tax class

Engine capacity/CO2

........... it will say

"THIS VEHICLE NEEDS AN APPROPRIATE MOT CERTIFICATE" if it needs one.

One school of thought is for the cost of an MOT to make sure that your pride and joy has nothing falling off an MOT might not be such a bad thing to have done any way. ???

My view is that having spent £450 on an IVA, I'm not paying another £40 odd 12 months and 1500 miles later just so I can pay another £220 road tax. I probably do more regular checking in those 12 months than they'll ever do in a 20 minute MOT.

My view is that having spent £450 on an IVA, I'm not paying another £40 odd 12 months and 1500 miles later just so I can pay another £220 road tax. I probably do more regular checking in those 12 months than they'll ever do in a 20 minute MOT.

fair point some of us are nearer to 5000 miles in the 12 months, then the £40 aint so bad

First time pass at IVA but still had Florin MOT'd each year; an "advisory" for steering column was given at second test which I hadn't spotted. Coming up 3 year old & 25 thousand miles now, so horses for coarses I suppose.

Guest peter2b2002

i've done over 25k miles in the last 10 years only had 2 advice notes(Ididn't put a second bolt into the bottom wishbone o/s rear bracket made it look like the bush had warn when he used the crow bar to check for any movement) second one bottom ball joint rubbers cracking

peter2b

• 1 year later...
Guest mdav1970

Hi,

Mines a Q plate 1st Registration 1/11/2014 so i was under the impression it doesnt need an MOT for 3 years?

I sworn the car off road end of November, when i tried to TAX on line today it had no MOT showing which is needed tobe able to get the TAX online, what ever car it is. Rang DVLA and they agreed the car didnt need to be MOT'd for 3 years but to get the TAX i would now need to MOT it! So i just took the log book to the Post Office, they scanned it in their system and it didnt need the MOT, showed it was Insured, so i got the TAX?

FOR GOD's SAKE

This comes up every few months and no one gets it right, and no one listens.

If you want price of mind get a non- recorded MOT by a friendly garage. Once you register a car on the system you have to have one every year.

The MOT for our cars is so simple that most MOT tester have a cup of coffee while the DVLA timed slot runs out.

It's just bearings, ball joints, emmisions and lights.

1 of my " advisories" actually cured itself by the following year.

• Like 1

FOR GOD's SAKE

This comes up every few months and no one gets it right, and no one listens.

If you want price of mind get a non- recorded MOT by a friendly garage. Once you register a car on the system you have to have one every year.

The MOT for our cars is so simple that most MOT tester have a cup of coffee while the DVLA timed slot runs out.

It's just bearings, ball joints, emmisions and lights.

1 of my " advisories" actually cured itself by the following year.

get out the wrong side of the bed this morning, living up to your name Snapper lol

Guest 2b cruising

get out the wrong side of the bed this morning, living up to your name Snapper lol

I thought his name was an adaptation of an RE squaddie. How wrong of me. Snappers not had enough napper. Up far to early on a Saturday morning.

It's just bearings, ball joints, emmisions and lights

My tester used to test my brakes too, must have been on a different course. lol.