4 Berth Caravan For Sale

richardm6994

As per the title, I'm selling my Caravan complete with awning.

Swift Rapide 440 GXL 1994.

Cassette toilet with all chemicals

2 water barrels & new water pump

electric & gas cascade 2 water heater

Gas bottle with gas (not full but plenty to get you started)

gas hob and grill

fridge (mains, battery or gas)....I've only ever used this on hook-up

Hook-up cables

spare wheel and brace

battery (works fine but I was planning on buying a better battery this summer)

no damp

I'm sure there is stuff I've forgot but basically everything is there for you to "hook-up and go". It's a lovely caravan and is in great condition considering it's nearly 20 years old!

£1,550 ovno

caravan3_zps5e8af332.jpg

caravan1_zps3c4ab611.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Dave Skirrow

I'm kinda tempted with this but have no idea whatsoever about caravans. Never crossed my mind to buy one before in my life. With that in mind, I have a few really stupid questions if you have time to answer them...

- What else would I need to buy to get going? I have a suitable car for towing but I'll need a tow bar and presumably electrics? Any idea how much it costs to get set up with these things?

- Aside from that will I need to buy anything that's not included?

- Are there any running costs like servicing or anything else ? And getting even more stupid... MOT, tax insurance? Sorry I have no clue!

- How much does it cost to stay on your average site? Just after a ball park figure really

- Does it have a shower? And is it any good?

- What sort of life do they have? Do they rot like cars? And can damp be a problem? Is it pretty much scrap if it starts leaking?

- How accurate is 4 berth? I'm guessing OK for me, my wife and my daughter, but what about me and a couple of mates? Would that be too cosy.

- Anything else I should know about or be aware of that springs to mind

Cheers!

Hi Dave,

With regards to the caravan itself, you don't need to buy anything else to get going as everything needed is included. Regards the towing vehicle, I bought a tow ball kit off ebay for about £300 and fitted it myself.....it included everything needed, brackets, bolts, electrics etc...

No MOT or tax....we do insure ours but its a personal choice. Also you may need to let your car insurance company know you'll be towing (probably not necessary but better to be safe).

We pay for secure storage and this costs about £300per year.

Site pitches range in price massively so hard to give a ball park figure.

It does have a shower. Don't expect anything amazing but its good enough and certainly better than nothing.

Life spans are good....my last van was 30years old and was dry and rot free...... This van is also dry and rot free and in good condition.

4 berth is 1 double bed and single bunk-beds.

It will be on ebay soon. When we bought it last year.....everyone told us was real bargain and what we are asking for is simply what we paid...reason for sale is me and Claire have now split up.

Guest Ian & Carole

Looking at Richards list it is more or less hook up and go just pots pans knifes and forks needed, sleeping bags / duvet.

Service, yearly can be DIY or around £150.00 by dealer.

No MOT at the moment but Brussels are flexing their muscles, but the caravan council are fending them off as we speak.

Insurance NOT compulsory check your car policy or speak to your broker, if it gets stolen then start again though. Not expensive though Mine costs £350.00 but that is for a £24K van, shop around, gets cheaper with things like hitch lock wheel clamp and where you store it.

Cost per night £10.00 to £25.00 dependant on what YOU want from the site facilities wise.

Damp can be a problem but checked at service can be dealt with and kept at bay.

Great family holiday , chuck your mates in the awning. :rofl: :rofl:

We have been caravanning for years and absolutely love it and get away as often as we can.

Having seen Richards caravan in the flesh it would be a great way to dip your toe in the water, you could move it on again after a couple of cheap hols if you didn't like it ,or chop it in for better if you fall in love with the life style it offers, not all do.

Must type faster to do a sales pitch !!! :sorry: :sorry:

Edited by Ian & Carole

Guest Dave Skirrow

Cheers CMA, great info, I'll check out the forums. We have a Honda CRV so I'm guessing that will be OK.

Anyone know what the score is with electrics? Looking at this for £100 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Towbar-for-Honda-CR-V-1997-2002-Flange-Tow-Bar-/290614586376

Would the electrics on that be suitable? Assume I have to cut into the loom? Don't really mind doing it myself and £100 seems like a bargain.

Dave, that's the same eBay seller that I bought my tow ball kit from......and I cut into the cars loom / rear lights to connect up the electrics. The only thing I thought could be better with the kit is the use of nylon nuts instead of plain nuts (I replaced and used nyloc).....other than that it was straight forward and really easy to fit (took about 4 hours to fit and wire)

Guest Ian & Carole

That wiring kit gives you the bear minimum needed, ie road lighting, if you want to go all the way you will need a "12S" grey socket as well which along with a split charger relay gives you battery charging and fridge whilst towing. not really needed unless you really get the bug.

Guest Dave Skirrow

Cheers, is the battery only needed when you are not on a site where you can plug in? And does it normally charge when you are plugged in?

Guest Ian & Carole

Most 'vans have a battery charger built into their system and the battery is used as a reservoir to prevent surging when you use ie the water pump with lights on, it prevents the dimming of the lights whilst the "system" recovers.