Boost's Rebuild

Guest Boost

DSCN0442.jpg

The box section seat mounts look added - don't know if these will stop in - any comments? Advice?

And from what I've read so far on the forum the Sliding Pillar front suspension looks like it will have to make way for some wishbones - Any drawings anywhere of dimensions/sizes to make these?

Think I've got a bit of work on!

Looks to be in about 3-4 times better nick than the rusty-rotten-barely started Sliding Pillar 2B I took on last year Boost! Should make an interesting project.

Just recently had to weld in angle sections to support the seats on mine (really don't like the idea of bolting the thing that holds you up to a thin flimsy piece of sheet with some spreader plates attached). So I would personaly say that if it's structurally sound and just surface rust, to just clean them up and use them. There is so much other ridiculous grief to sort out with the early 2B's it seems that at least one of the jobs would be sorted for you already. Also it gives you something to mount your inner seatbelt fixings to which is also something completely missing from the 2B chassis.

Has it got an engine in it? What are you planning to do with on that front? Is it using the nonsense upside down LHD Metro rack with the wrong tapers for the Sierra hubs or has the previous owner done the proper thing and modded a Sierra rack or similar?

Also just noticed you are from Winterton - I used to live there many years ago (coates avenue).

Cheers

Tony :)

Hi tony

I haven't got clue what rack it has in it, I'm sure a have a Sierra one in the garage somewhere so I'll have a look and check.

The engine is a 2.0 pinto from an RS2000 there are receipts for a rebuild and rally spec head work and a dyno print with the paperwork. I'll dig it out and let you know more when I do!

I did have desires of fitting a bike engine but if this motor turns out to be as good as the seller and paperwork says then I'll Keep it and save some work!

I intend to change the sliding pillar to wish bones then strip it, powder cost it and rebuild. When time allows!

• 4 weeks later...

Managed an hour in the garage tonight, got rid of the heater, coil, ignition module, and all the interior panels. Think the next job will be the wish bones, just paid for some hubs/discs & calipers off eBay...

• 1 year later...
Guest 2b cruising

2b a bit to heavy to consider bike engines.

Because of relatively low torque, best with a car engine.

Weight on a basic 2b dry is 750 kg if you are lucky.

Would of course be lighter with the bike engine but not enough to warrant one.

That's my opinion anyway.

Many engines to chose from if you don't like the pinto.

Zetec, Red Top, z20 let. Cosworth, rover v8, Any Ford v6 Mazdz with or without supercharger, one I fancy but can't afford s2000. Choice is virtually endless depending on pocket.

The old saying from Enzo F, BHP gives you power, but torque wins you races. Very true statement.