Decibel Reducer/killer

Guest danny88

Guest danny88

Hi guys, just adding the finishing touches to get my 2b through iva...I'm after a decibel killer for my exhaust. I have the non repackable sort from gbs and I'm unsure on wether it will pass noise readings after hearing different things. Has anyone used a decibel killer at all and can recommend one to me? Possibly one that I can just put down the end of the tailpipe (all though it's curved)

Regards, Danny

Danny

I tried this by fitting one in the main section of the exhaust. It was quieter to the ear but still exceeded the level required for IVA as well as obviously restricting the flow and making the car run seriously rich.

I'd recommend either cutting the silencer and replacing the wadding (Do a search it has been done), or better still replacing it with something a little better.

Thanks...

I did fit a db killer and it did run rich but passed SVA noise test

Pinto running bike carbs 102 db down to 97 db

Eventually had a much larger can made as Robin Hood one hurt my ears once I put a screen on and took helmet off

Guest danny88

They're so damn expensive from gbs though, it's just a shame because mine fits lovely, size, everything...I just was thinking of trying to get something that's temporary for iva. Didn't really want to spend a fortune. I worked out the other day how much I had spent. Part built Car cost me 1200, and so far I have spent over 3500 on top of that, changing a modifying parts lol! Any idea where you got that decibel killer from Paul?

Cheers guys!

Guest davidimurray

On my 1800 pinto, bike carbs, 4 to 1 exhaust over the top rail with a GSXR 1000 K4 exhaust can, I fitted two DB killers, one at the exit of the silencer and one on the inlet side where the pipe goes into the can. When I took it for the test it made 92dB as I thought it sounded loud. Baffles now removed and sounds luuuuurvely!

. Part built Car cost me 1200, and so far I have spent over 3500 on top of that, changing a modifying parts lol!

The joys of kit cars :) I promise you though that it will all be worth it when you go out for that first drive.....or when you turn up to your first show in it.....or your first track day.....or....well, being honest, every time you pull it out of the garage!

Best of luck with the rest of your build and IVA

Guest mower man

Fit it to get IVA and then place it where you will never find it again !! , save up and buy a repackable silencer man enough for the job in hand , other than occaisional repacks job done mowerman :acute:

Guest danny88

Thanks guys it is all much appreciated! Just can't wait to get it on the road. Spent the last year and a half on it and she's coming together nicely. I will try and upload a picture at some point :-)

Danny

Guest danny88

Here's the first picture I have uploaded of her. I vinyled all the body work myself and sprayed the wheel arches, nose cone etc. Stripped it completely back and started again from scratch. She's nearly there! :-)

By the way, I have still got to remove the outer clear cover on the blue vinyl if people wander what it is lol

Guest peter2b2002

when i took my 2b for its sva 110db i stuffed 2 wire wool cleaners up the tail pipe held in place with the 3 leg thing that came with the kit down to 92db be carefull not to rev too hard other wise the back pressure will blow wire wool cleaners out

peter2b