Front Hubs

Guest Boost

I have Granada hubs on mine, if you go that way I'll sell you a full set (5) renovated Magnesium 14 inch, 6J, 5 stud Minilite wheels £295 (going on Ebay before long, when I get around to it!!!

Guest chris brown

FWD front hubs can be used - have a look at a Lotus - you just need to use the stub from the cv joint which can have the cup part turned off so it ends up as a big bolt to torque up the bearing.

My GTM uses Mini front hubs at the front with no driveshafts connected - Just a CV joint. You don't need to machine the CV - just knock the balls and cage out and leave the cup as-is and it becomes a stub axle. Mine does have the cups removed (by a gorilla with a hacksaw by the looks of it). I'm going to stick them in the lathe to clean up the rear faces before they go back on. It is better to remove the cups if possible since it reduces unsprung weight a little.

I've also got Sierra 4x4 front hubs on my Focus which is RWD (when it's not 4x4). Same idea and I've got a pair of CV's that are used as a stub axle. They actually have a plate welded over the hole where the driveshaft went in by a previous owner - I've never quite understood why but they are a beautiful job.

Granada and Sierra 4x4 use a bigger diameter strut than a 2wd Sierra so you would likely need to account for that with whatever you are using to connect to the upper ball-joint in a double wishbone system. You could use Sierra 4x4 front drive flanges on a Granada hub to retain the 4 stud wheel mountings.

Iain