Garage Floor Paint

Guest Kennedy48

I've always used 2 pack floor paint ( the type with hardener), a friend of mine uses the standard floor paint which isn't as hard wearing but he just overcoats it when it's worn. Can't remember the name, it may be Manders as that was what we used at work. Make sure the floor has a a damp proof course under it as the paint may lift. I also primed my floors with a concrete sealer first. Watch the tyres, they can stick to the paint when the paints fresh!

Rob

Made a foul up off my garage floor, the screed came up dusty & weak; painting didn't seal it so bought the interlocking rubber tiles ( Machinemart) covered the whole floor; brilliant to work on, soft & warm to the knees. They don't like the welder though.

Guest TerryBarry

I'd also recommend Wickes garage floor paint. Lasted over 10 years - couple of patches need touching up where the concrete surface has crumbled.

I did use a sealant (same supplier) prior to painting.

I used Screwfix no nonsense floor paint in the woodshop. Never again.

In the workshop I used International sealant (because it was new concrete) followed by their floor paint and that's held up well.

In the Garage I used Tetrosyl floor paint that was being sold cheap in Halfords at the time. That was old concrete and around the edges there were areas that had been painted before.

Both the Tetrosyl and the International stuff are holding up well but after a good few years there are areas that could do with touching up. The Tetrosyl has stood up to brake fluid for weeks (brake pipe corroded through over winter on a resto project and didn't notice till I went back in there). Both the Tetrosyl and the International have had cellulose thinners and petrol slopped over them with no ill effects (obviously moped up fairly quickly).

Iain

Guest Kennedy48

Thank you. Concrete is only about 5 months old and I did fancy some kind of matting but don't want to spend a lot of money on a garage floor.

Il look into all that has been suggested.

Thank you

The Machine Mart tiles are 600mm square & cost around a pound each, but that was a few years back.

Ooopps Tiles are 610 x 610 & £24 inc VAT for a pack of 6 includes edging border if used as a mat, best wait for one of there VAT free days if interested.

I bought a soft floor brush to apply the paint with and a cheap plastic trough to stick white spirit in to clean it afterwards. I still use the brush for sweeping up.

I've heard the argument about not painting in case of spills but having worked on both I'd paint every time and keep a bag of cheap cat litter to throw down on any big spills. Smaller ones come up with a rag. On bare concrete anything oily soaks into the surface ready to wick into anything you sit on it at a later date and just tends to be slippery for longer.

Iain

Guest Kennedy48

Thank you guys. I don't have my car at my house and even thinking about getting rid of it as I haven't seen its since I sorned it 2012. So getting oil everywhere isn't an issue.

Would be nice to have a mat down but for quickness and cheapness il just paint and pva. Just sick of the dust.

I also used Wickes floor paint and their concrete sealant. I left it 24 hours between sealing and paint coats.

Even after 24 hours there were still a couple of small patches where you could see the sealant wasn't totally dry - tended to be in corners.

I used 2 * 2.5L tins of paint and 1 * 2.5 L sealant. This gave me 3 coats on the floor with a standard single garage.

Like Bob mentioned I've got the MachineMart floor tiles in the places where I stand to stop me tootsies falling off

Ian