Fire Extinguisher

Guest paisesmediterraneos

Where to get one? Look for a fire extinguisher or fire control systems supplier. Most "high street" suppliers will only stock powder.

They will also help with check schedule and maintenance.

I've only ever been in 1 car fire caused by the fuel connector on a Webber actually come detached from the carb body and spraying fuel all over the engine.

Advice.

1. Switch off

2. Stop the car

3. Get out

4. GET OUT

The fact I had an extinguisher resulted in me popping the bonnet and spraying it in through the gap. About as effective as me spitted on it.

Only afterwards did I think how stupid it was to pop the bonnet and give the fire more air !!!! It could have resulted in me getting a face full of flames.

Moral of the story: Having an extinguisher to hand that is ineffective and you don't know how to use could result in you making it much worse.

Ian

After having (very) basic fire training for my BOSIET I wouldnt want to tackle a car fire with on of those small extinguisers. Powder will settle, as stated, it will also destroy the eletrical system and get into the carbs etc. Foam will run off so wont do its job of blanketing the fire to smother it before it runs out. I would go for CO2 that way you can kill the fuel supply and release through bonnet vents without opening to take away the oxygen.

Its supprising how long it takes to knock down a flame and how long you need to keep using the extinguiser to stop it flaring back up, im not sure those little ones would last long enough.

• 4 weeks later...

The factory when I was an appentice had halon auto extinguishers in control room. Something like 30 seconds after fire alarm going off they would operate. I remember one day when fire alarm went off and everybody legged it out of the main door (down a narow passage). Unfortunately, one bloke was just on his way in, he was knocked to the ground by the opening door and 6 or 7 blokes trampled over him in their hurry to get out. Don't seem to have nearly as many funny things happening in work these days.

CO2

Good enough to stop your pride and joy going up in smoke

If you are rear ended and tank goes up you'll need the fire brigade if you manage to get out

Halon systems in offices require positive pressure BA for each person, I saw this in Southend VAT computer system a few decades back

I've seen it at work in one of our critical document stores bit that's unmanned

Guest peter2b2002

found it , i put it into my tractor last year when hay making after finding that dry grass had wrapped it self around the front propshaft when i cut it off , the grass had turned black /charcoal and red hot, no wonder some tractors catch fire during harvest time

peter2b