Fuel Gauge Testing

Guest danny_samb

Guest danny_samb

Hi all is there a way I can test my fuel gauge with a multi meter,I have tested the sender and get a change in resistance as I move the float arm so just want to check the gauge is faulty before ordering a new one

Thanks

Is there power getting to the guage?

Depending on the regulator you should see volts at the battery connector of the guage.

Modern regulators typically give 8V here, older bimetal regulators will show switching between 0V and 12V to 14V (depending on battery charge) here.

All you need to test it with is a 3 pin potentiometer from say Maplins.

Get one around 12,000 ohms so that you will not put any amps through it. (12 kohms is approx 1 milliamp)

put the battery across terminals 1 and 3 and the gauge (signal) across 2 and 3 (3 common negative) with the gauge powered with the 12 volts to the respective points.

You should then be able to rotate the potentiometer varying the voltage at pin 2 from zero volts up to battery voltage and the gauge should move accordingly. (senses voltage only)

(That's if the gauge is a voltage sensor - do you have the spec sheet for it ? )

(Oh, and start with the rotating shaft turned about half way between end stops.)

I've just checked online and there are two types of gauge 2-wire and 3-wire.

( Google's great for that :) )

Simon.