Attention: All Superspec Owners

alanrichey

I know of a Superspec that was bought without engine, gearbox or back axle

This one is fitted with an Oval race spec Pinto, twin Dellorto's, type 9 and Cosworth rear axle, diff (71/2")

Guest stevenkirk

There is another Superspec over here in Northern Ireland it. The owner changed the t series engine for a red top Vauxhall and turbo charged it. And is in the process of fitting a LSD at the rear.

May I take this opportunity to say you have a fine forum and a wealth of knowledge behind you - unlike the "kitcarclub " over here. Which are mostly Cobra's and "others".

Guest stevenkirk

Anyone else have an awful smell of petrol on cranking the engine? Checked the pipes but no leaks and did put inserts into the plastic pipes before connecting them to rubber petrol hose as the previous owner and builder didn't and crushed the pipes.

Was wondering if it was just displacement on priming the fuel lines as i have said before is needed on this one before starting.

• 8 months later...

Hi

Not been on here in a very long time, just trawling through SS posts and spotted this, so I'll mine to the list:

Red Superspec 05 model with T16(non-turbo) and MT75 box, SVA'd (as it was back then) 2007, Registered Mar 07

SORN for 2 years, but looking to get it back on the road, this summer, with new coil-overs tho (still has the old zeemerides!)

Ian

Guest 2b cruising

Any propshaft U/J is now available as a greased for life unit.

I have a 2B and will be changing to these at my next oportunity. Especially because of the poor access to the front one.

Unless your shaft (drive one on car) is working at a very acute angle, greased for life joints are more than adequate for the task.

In the good old days, it used to be every 1000 mile grease up.

• 2 years later...
Guest samss

Hey Speccers, I'm Sam Fox. Not sure what number mine is, but i've owned her from new, she was registered in 09, managed to cover about 2k in her!

The superspec has been in a manky shed for years, I'm back on it now. Engine swap to a merc 3litre *cough* Diesel :-D, hoping to go superturbodiesel with her (big fuel pump, big turbo and a decent amount of power! )

Progress is alright but then it would be as i've only spent a couple of days getting engine physically in to assess space and so forth. Will keep everyone updated with a thread at some point! Currently learning to TIG ready for a few modifications including some engine mounts which are much firther forward now so going to tie all three chassis tubes on each side and make a removable cradle under the engine like a "U" shape. I've got some stainless to make the chassis brackets with, then the gearbox bracket needs dealing with before I do anymore! Photos to follow!

I will get round to making a list of unwanted original superspec bits for sale and get back to those who asked a while back. I must or the mrs will kill me!

I'm living near Goole now.

Sam

also , sam fox ., no not that sam fox, , has a yellow ss rover /mt75 , resides just outside York,

Mitch

• 7 months later...

My apologies for resurrecting this old thread.

Are there any superspec owners near Aberdeen who would be willing to let me have a look a there cars so I can work out what I'm missing and take some measurements for the pieces I'll have to make?

You are out of luck I'm afraid. As far as I know there only 12 Rover-engined Superspec owners who are currently on the forum, of which 9 are running. None of them are in Scotland. The nearest to you are 'Redspec' in County Durham, 'e666' in North Yorkshire and 'wanderer' in Fleetwood.

Obviously I am more than happy to take measurements on my own car and copious photos of whatever you need. And if you PM me your address I can send you a copy of the Build DVDs (although they are more for entertainment value that help on the engineering).

And there is a 'huge' amount of information on this forum about the car. Most of it between 2003-2007 when the cars were first being built. All you need to do is search, but be selective. If you do a search for "Superspec" then you will get nothing before 2008 as you hit the limit.. But search for "Superspec Gearbox" then you get 11 results going back to 2005 (Note the double quotes, they are essential).

Good luck, we will offer any help we can.

Al

• 7 months later...

HI Rick

I have been issuing Superspec-specific newsletters over the last few weeks, Number 8 went out this afternoon. If you would like to receive the back copies let me know.

And if you let me know your engine number of the V5 I can give you the history of your engine,

Al

• 1 year later...
Guest Rochdale Olympic

I have a Rover/Type 9 Superspec registered in 2007.

I bought it in August 2018 in Glenrothes, Scotland.

This wasn't among the most sensible thing I've ever done given that I live on the Isle of Wight, my wife was with me and I was 72 at the time. Oh yes, and the nearest that the car came to weather equipment was a sponge used for wiping rain off the seats plus it had barely turned a wheel in the previous ten years.

While I was there it seemed sensible(!) to do the North Coast 500 (or whatever it's called) so I did, pausing only to drop my wife off at a convenient railway station so she could start her journey home.

The A82 part of the trip was covered three times and I can't remember ever having a better time in a car. Mind you I often have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast or to zip up my trousers so you probably shouldn't read too much into this.

I called in at the factory on the way home (a cup of tea would have been nice🙄) and should have taken the opportunity to make a couple of purchases, namely a full set of weather equipment and a windscreen. Had I had the foresight to do this the last 150 miles of the journey might have been a little less like swimming the channel as not only did it take place during the heaviest rain of the year but also most of the windscreen had finished up in my lap after being hit by a stone.

Luckily I seldom venture far without a pack of heavy duty bin-liners and a roll of gaffer tape so I was soon suited up like something out of the Geriatrics' Issue of Rubber Lovers Monthly.

Oh dear, I seem to have wandered off the subject a bit. My 'chassis number' also has loads of 7s in it and if I remember I'll post it tomorrow. I might even manage a picture of my newly fitted (today) early Land Rover lights which to my eye look infinitely more in keeping than the clunky rectangular things it came with.

Interesting, first time I have heard of a Type 9 being used in a Superspec.   Nice to hear of another one still running.   We think there were about 50 actually sold and we still have a handle on about 15 of them.

If you let me know the engine number (it's on the V5), I can tell you what car your engine was destined for, which makes it easier for ordering parts.   I also have a ton of documentation on the engine which you are welcome to.   Finally I highly recommend you run my ECU diagnosis software to make sure everything is working OK.

8 hours ago, Rochdale Olympic said:

I have a Rover/Type 9 Superspec registered in 2007.

I bought it in August 2018 in Glenrothes, Scotland.

This wasn't among the most sensible thing I've ever done given that I live on the Isle of Wight, my wife was with me and I was 72 at the time. Oh yes, and the nearest that the car came to weather equipment was a sponge used for wiping rain off the seats plus it had barely turned a wheel in the previous ten years.

While I was there it seemed sensible(!) to do the North Coast 500 (or whatever it's called) so I did, pausing only to drop my wife off at a convenient railway station so she could start her journey home.

The A82 part of the trip was covered three times and I can't remember ever having a better time in a car. Mind you I often have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast or to zip up my trousers so you probably shouldn't read too much into this.

I called in at the factory on the way home (a cup of tea would have been nice🙄) and should have taken the opportunity to make a couple of purchases, namely a full set of weather equipment and a windscreen. Had I had the foresight to do this the last 150 miles of the journey might have been a little less like swimming the channel as not only did it take place during the heaviest rain of the year but also most of the windscreen had finished up in my lap after being hit by a stone.

Luckily I seldom venture far without a pack of heavy duty bin-liners and a roll of gaffer tape so I was soon suited up like something out of the Geriatrics' Issue of Rubber Lovers Monthly.

Oh dear, I seem to have wandered off the subject a bit. My 'chassis number' also has loads of 7s in it and if I remember I'll post it tomorrow. I might even manage a picture of my newly fitted (today) early Land Rover lights which to my eye look infinitely more in keeping than the clunky rectangular things it came with.

😁 Now that, sir, is a quality read - Well done for the trip and even better write-up 🤗

Join the club (a mere 20 English new pounds) because I feel you may be a great contributor to the club magazine and in these drive-free days, I'm struggling for content.