Garage Door Locks

exlabman

Hi,

I've standard garage door locks on standard steel up and over doors (210mm width) and am wondering about beefing up security a bit.

Ideally I'd like to be able to open the doors from inside and outside but might not be possible.

Garage is alarmed with the house but would like to put off light fingered scumbags.

Seen different types just wondered what people recommend.

Thanks

David

• Like 1

Following a break in a few years ago which targeted the bikes in the garage I beefed up the door security.

I now have an eye bolt fixed into the garage floor and a large padlock that locks the door to the eye bolt.

To give some extra visibility I also have 2 yellow ( 6 inch square) 1/4 inch thick steel angle plates that lock into the floor with 1 inch thick steel pins and hold the door shut. It can only be opened from the inside.

I had a car drive into the door (accidentally) , it was a bit bent but it stayed fastened down.

Guest TerryBarry

I've got two keyed alike, five lever mortice locks fitted low down to the sides of the up & over door. Got them sometime ago from Wickes. Work well but they are only as strong as the sides of the door and the wooden frame it fits into. For real security - you could always try keeping a large hungry wolf in the garage overnight. =@

If it has power in the garage, fit an electric garage door opener, pretty impossible to force, and its great when you arrive home after a run out and you get soaked in a sudden shower - no need to get out of the car to open the door