Some Progress Finally

femster87

Looks like the R6 is getting the much needed attention it deserves, car is superb mechanically just needed some tlc. Some tasty bits arrived today.

Car started Life like this

DSCF1660_zps70eb6fc7.jpg

Had a very quick rebuild, (with help from the RHOCAR yorkshire bunch), and did some travelling

DSCF4041_zpsdfa707ed.jpg

th_DSCF4065_zpsaaf61c76.jpg. Bit shaky :rofl:

Its now having another rebuild

Panels have been painted and they are arriving in bits, sample of new colour

DSCF1062_zpsd36a63be.jpg

I sold the quaife straight cut box and this beauty arrived today.

DSCF1060_zpsb68cd87f.jpg.

It is pretty light and the ratios are great apart from the overdrive (diff should sort that). Just waiting on the new diff now. And the assembly can start. Summer is going to be a laugh

£2k for a synchro 6 speed box is money well spent really, like Stu says most 6-speed options are all straight cut and/or sequential options, and a good deal more than £2k! For road use, the Caterham 6-speed (designed by BGT) has got to be the best option for those of us stuck with having to use a type-9 pattern box. Would love one myself; one of those things to keep an eye out for :) it's on my ebay search list...!

Like Dan said, its a cracking box. Ratios are pretty close. I did not pay anything close to 2k for it, not even £1000. I sold my straight cut box for a very good price. If a standard type 9 costs £200 used and a rebuilt one costs about £600 with standard ratios, I think this is a good buy. And Tractor, this gearboxes fetch good money, nothing to lose on them, and at the current interest rates in the banks, I'll rather play with the money, have some fun and get the same amount back when I am bored.

This is worth a look...

http://locost7.info/gearcalc.php

Look in tools, ratios there is a box for the Caterham 6 speed.

I hadnt realised, but 6th is 1:1, not overdrive like the type 9.

Is that what you mean by "the diff will sort that"?

I hired a caterham 1.6K series with the 6 speed box when I was deciding on a kit to buy.

Got fed up waggling the gear lever every 2 seconds! LOL

Seriously, it was a sweet box