Some Progress Finally

femster87

Yes Bob, that is what I meant about it not being an overdrive in 6th. The ratios are pretty good. I have a copy of that software, it was instrumental in deciding what gearbox to choose. I would have preferred a standard box with a long first. But the cost of building one with BGH, SPC was more than the caterham box.

• 3 weeks later...

More bits are arriving slowly and getting fitted. The spacer arrived for the gearbox and I have a greasy bell housing to degrease. Progress has bee slow due to my other restoration project.

DSCF4264_zps5fb7d5b6.jpg

IMG_20131104_123140_zpsffc67b4e.jpg

More bits arriving from the painter it should all be here by the weekend

DSCF4274_zps9e4b57ba.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the voice of descent in the ranks (Keith), I have decided to get my finger out and get on with the rebuild. Engine and gearbox assembled and installed today. Was an absolute pain. I had to lift the chassis over the engine. Due to the longer input shaft on the gearbox, a 20mm spacer was purchased from rwdmotorsport. Due to the entire assembly moving forward 20mm, i needed to either shorten the propshaft of move the engine forward. The engine has been moved forward and new mounting holes drilled for the engine. After all that work, i was not looking forward to testing the clutch. With the cable connected, it seems to work a treat, needs a bit of adjustment

Edited by femster

Enthused by yesterdays progress, and since I am on a self inflicted (temporary joblessness), I continued on the car. The day had other plans though, on my drive to the garage, my uber reliable and stupidly abused smart roadster, had a sudden loss of power. I instinctively looked at the boost gauge and I had no compression. I will look for leak later. On the brighter side, I thrashed the hell out of it and i still stayed within the speed limits (the car will not go over 50 mph. :rofl: :rofl: . I carried on with car build for some hours and thrashed the car home again. Good times :rofl: :rofl: . I made up the flared side panels for the front. This was bent and cut using a plasma cutter and a press at Martin Keenans workshop. Martin was kind enough to let me use the plasma cutter and the press. I also made up some vents for the back end of the flared panels.

DSCF43821_zps0d5a5f98.jpg

DSCF44001_zps063fd9d8.jpg

70ce47d0-3808-4dec-a0ff-d24c0bbc1f1a_zpscabd7f33.jpg

DSCF44011_zpsb8df4322.jpg

Question now is, should I paint the flared side panels in black or match the rear panels?? Suggestions welcomed

Edited by femster

• 4 weeks later...