My 2B Build

Guest Ashman86

Looks good .

I hope you don't need that 1" that you have just lost under the seats. I am a shorty but needed every mm I could gain to stop me having to look through the top rail of the windscreen when driving. My seats are fitted with the front up, to give a little layback position ( to allow knees bent driving ),

Graham

• 10 months later...
Guest Ashman86

Wow, so I haven't updated this since June 2014. I can report not much has been achieved since then. Its been a hectic past year what with damaging a tendon in my finger while riveting, the baby being born and my general disinterest in the kit, I'm pleased to say i have now reaffirmed my love for the old girl and work has commenced.

Managed to get my hands on a new manifold, looks much neater and more in keeping with the look I'm after than the old 2 pipe thing that came with the kit

DSC_0725.jpg

DSC_0724.jpg

Excuse the mess in the garage it has been cleaned since then.

Just after christmas i finally plucked up the courage to cut my bonnet and make a fixed scuttle, really pleased with the end result but I wasn't a fan of the original firewall i was left with. After seeing Tractor's chequerplate arrangement i thought I would do the same.

I started by knocking up a quick template,

DSC_0752.jpg

Then cut the upright piece,

DSC_0753.jpg

And finally cut the remaining pieces,

DSC_0759.jpg

Not overly pleased with the horizontal piece so this may be removed and a new (better fitting) piece will be fitted. None of the panels are attached at the moment, this will be a job for the coming evenings, and a cover for the pedal assembly will be made from some stainless sheet I have waiting.

• 5 years later...
On 3/3/2014 at 9:06 PM, Ashman86 said:

Hi All,

Thought I'd start a build thread in order to keep a track of my progress and get any hints, tips on things I may not be doing quite right (probably most of it, but as they say god loves a trier)

It all started in September of last year, having bought my first house the October before and dismantling the old asbestos garage, it was time to fulfil a childhood dream. Buying my first kit car!

After trawling through various forums and eBay I decided I would look for an unfinished Robin Hood 2B.

A couple of weeks later I found a kit in Swansea and the owner could deliver which was a bonus. So after a short trip I went to view the car and here I am.

The car is a stainless chassis with wishbones, the front nose cone and rear arch panels are stainless, the side panels and rear panel are mild steel. (bit of a mish mash)

Car when I bought it:

IMG-20140228-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20140228-WA0003.jpg

and of course the obligatory lets see how it fits photo:

IMG-20140228-WA0001.jpg

Problem was, all I had was a hard-stand and no garage. So back to eBay, I parted with my pennies and bought a pop up garage (big mistake). It was okay for the first couple of weeks until a windy day turned it into a twisted parachute.

This meant it was time to have a garage built. progress was slow and the garage wasn't completed until January. I had originally set myself a very ambitious 8 month deadline, now being 4 months in there's still a load to do.

My first priority was to tackle the wiring loom, the loom in the car was from the donor and it was what can only be described as a mess. After further trawling of the internet and forums to no avail, DanE said he had a zero loom for sale, so after a few messages I parted with my cash and he sent me a lovely neat loom.

The interior panels (half mild and half stainless) and ply firewall left a lot to be desired, so out came the angle grinder and they were put in the scrap pile. Looking through Colin Usher's website I found the autocad drawings for the various panels I require. As we deal with sheet metal suppliers in work I have sent the drawings off to see if they can be cut.

A new firewall was also created from the engineering drawings as provided on the site:

IMG-20140227-WA0001.jpg

This weekend, I decided to investigate the reason as to why the floor pan on the car was so flexible. After a little investigation I found the floor to only be held on with around 8 rather corroded self tapping screws. Out came the drill followed by several hours of laying on a cold hard floor creating what felt like a thousand holes.

Whilst playing with the floor I decided that it could do with a lick of paint to spruce it up a little. Tip ensure doors and windows are open when using metal protect spray!

Quite pleased with the results:

One side done

DSC_0054.jpg

Both sides:

DSC_0057.jpg

Thats all for now, hoping to get some more done this week, including routing of the loom and fingers crossed some new panels.

Nice work 

Can I ask who is colin usher as I'm going to need a set of panels like you for my project and what you was supplied looks perfect 

Always worth checking the dates on these posts Jon - this one was last updated in 2015. If you click on the users name, it will tell you when he last logged in to this forum, which in this case was July 2017, so I'm afraid you are not likely to get a response.

This is a perfect example of what I said in my blog page - the build was taking ages or costing too much and this user has probably given up/sold up...

Thanks for that nelmo I am still working my way around the club site so good to know thanks again.

I've contacted GBS and they can supply everything for the 2b 

9 hours ago, nelmo said:

Always worth checking the dates on these posts Jon - this one was last updated in 2015. If you click on the users name, it will tell you when he last logged in to this forum, which in this case was July 2017, so I'm afraid you are not likely to get a response.

Jon, send him a message on the forum, he's only up the road from you. You never know, he might respond.

1 hour ago, richyb66 said:

Jon, send him a message on the forum, he's only up the road from you. You never know, he might respond.

No joy im afraid it says Ashman86 cant receive messages 

37 minutes ago, magh said:

I think I may have saved the drawings from the old Colin usher site years ago drop me your email and I’ll have a look to see if I can find them for you. 

I've sent you my email address magh 

Thank you for your help 

Let's be honest here lol paying 2 to 3 grand for a donor Sierra takes all the fun out of it a bit. I've searched for days now and Sierras ent cheap. I've got a few more days yet to decide on this chassis. But I think it's going to be a Q plate build for me which I'm fine with. I'll get a list together with the help off you good people of what mechanics can be used on this chassis. Mx5 stuff maybe.

Your all so helpful and have great knowledge of this kit car I'm glad to be part of such a pleasant club, Thank you all ☺️

• 1 year later...
On 3/3/2014 at 9:06 PM, Ashman86 said:

The interior panels (half mild and half stainless) and ply firewall left a lot to be desired, so out came the angle grinder and they were put in the scrap pile. Looking through Colin Usher's website I found the autocad drawings for the various panels I require. As we deal with sheet metal suppliers in work I have sent the drawings off to see if they can be cut.

I know this is an old post but I would like to get my hands on these drawings if anyone still has them and would be willing to share. I need all new interior panels so these drawings would be useful.