A Message From Al Richey - Please Read

alanrichey

Hi everyone

My apologies that this has nothing to do with kit cars, but it is something I am now passionate about and I firmly believe is very relevant to many of you on this forum.

Some of you will already know that just before Christmas I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I had an operation just after Christmas and thankfully it was caught in time and I have just been given the all-clear. But the important thing is that I never had any symptoms and found out almost by accident. If I hadn't been proactive I could have been drinking and eating with many of you at yesterday’s meet not realising I had a terminal illness.

So I now have a mission in life to try and stop anyone falling into the same trap that almost caught me.

I have written a personal guide to Prostate Cancer as I understand it, hopefully more from an 'engineering' practical viewpoint than a medical one, and a detailed description of all my experiences throughout the last few months. If you are a man over 50 (fair few of those on here I think :)), or you know a man over 50, please do me a big favour and read this article and if you think it is appropriate, give it as wide a distribution as you can.

http://www.rmrsoft.c...ncer_and_Me.pdf

Sorry if you think this is inappropriate for the forum, but if I can save just one person I'll gladly take the heat. :)

Thanks

Al

• Like 6

Guest Gargoil

Thanks Alan.

Very informative and well written. As I am fast approaching 50, a good reminder.

And again, well done with the full recovery.

My partners dad recently went through radiation treatment and has had the all clear.

Good news all round.....

Guest peter2b2002

i have a blood test every year ( after a stroke in my 50s) but i always ask them to check for prostate systems + i've joined Men United as well

glad you have an all clear lucky they found it quickly

peter2b

Guest kevinflyingpeanut

Top work Alan, very very well written and informative article , and inspirational personal story. A most generous offer at the end as well. Just goes to show how invasive this particular cancer is with so few symptoms, so I guess the mantra is get checked now and keep getting checked. Fingers crossed for your onward journey. Best regards Kevin P.

Guest mower man

Great news and well written hope every thing keeps going the good way life can be a bummer but we can get though had a few ups and downs myself over the last few years but hopefully ok now mowerman [ mick] :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :drinks: :crazy:

Guest jjevo23

Firstly, great news on the all clear and thank you for a really informative read. I just wanted to say that although prostate cancer isn't that common in men under 50 I have had 2 friends who have suffered with testicular cancer both in their 30's. As Alan said, most men will leave things until it is too late. Cancer doesn't give second chances if you don't act quickly

Good luck Andi. And thanks everyone for kind comments about the 'all-clear', but I have to be realistic and accept that it will most likely return in the future. But here's hoping it's a few years away :)