Zetec Starter, What Are You Using?

flameredturbo

Had the battery on charge over night as I wanted to rule out one possible cause for what I believe to be a dud starter, put it in and it turned fine and sprung the engine into life nicely which then stalled straight away (seperate issue)

Second try, clunk/bang

Third try the same and smoke/bang from TB on cylinder two..... Just unburned fuel getting burned and having nowhere to go?

Engine turns perfectly with a wrench still.

Ideas?

could it be flooding with fuel cos I had that with mine so had to disconnect fuel pump it ticked over fine so had to adjust all for floats that sorted mine I don't now much about throttle bodies I also got it running just on the eddis unit before I connected megajolt are you using the eddis system

• Like 1

Guest zerorace

Sounds like ring gear to starter pinion miss match try next time it clicks or bangs rocking the engine and then retry. Count the flywheel teeth and pinion teeth then compare with the original flywheel and starter

Guest mcramsay

Sounds like you have the coil pack wired up wrong and the plugs are firing in the wrong order. Or the timing is a mile out. Sounds like the plug is firing when one of the pistons is on the compression stroke. Sounds hurrendous, and will

Cause smoke from the throttle body.

Sounds like you have the coil pack wired up wrong and the plugs are firing in the wrong order. Or the timing is a mile out. Sounds like the plug is firing when one of the pistons is on the compression stroke. Sounds hurrendous, and will

Cause smoke from the throttle body.

I'll double check pretty sure both are correct. It's run and idled though and nothing has changed since.

Was that the mounting lugs broken off?

Even if it was cheap it shouldnt have failed there.

The breaks look clean, ie new, & not manufacturing faults.

I would double check that the starter/ring gear/flywheel are all compatible before fitting a new starter,

as you may just break the new one....

Sorry to be negative, just advising caution...

Was that the mounting lugs broken off?

Even if it was cheap it shouldnt have failed there.

The breaks look clean, ie new, & not manufacturing faults.

I would double check that the starter/ring gear/flywheel are all compatible before fitting a new starter,

as you may just break the new one....

Sorry to be negative, just advising caution...

I agree totally, I'm using a 1.8 zetec retroford fly, this was the correct starter and the new one which spins the engine up beautifully is the same fitment.

It's unconfirmed but possible internal fault with the old starter.

I've broken it down in my head a 100 times, the engine turned on a socket set perfectly and it's run without issue so the fault could have only been with the starter. I thought maybe the clutch had come loose from the flywheel and that was hitting the bellhousing and causing the abrupt clunk and stop but then if that was the case the engine wouldn't have run or turned freely by hand.