Adjusting Rear Shockers

alanrichey

Having adjusted the front shockers (Zimmers) to improve the sump clearance I thought it might be an idea to wind up the rear shocks a bit to level the car and stop the exhaust mounting from grounding.

Problem was that when I tried to turn the adjusting nut and locknut all that happened was the shocker rotated.

rideheight1.jpg

Am I missing something simple or am I going to have to take them off? or fabricate some way of gripping the lower threaded part without damaging it ?

Right. 'fabricate some way of gripping the lower threaded part without damaging it ?'

Mole grips or some plumbing type grippers applied over a layer of cloth, having first separated the two locking nuts. A bit of oil for the threads and do it while jacked up to reduce the tension on the spring.

The zimmers are poor quality adaptations of mini shocks and are best changed after 6 months use to something of better quality and function.

Nigel

Nigel, I think you're being a bit generous with the 6 month life of a Zimmer :crazy:

I binned my front ones after 1st outing after SVA, Had to wait a while to change the rears due for financial reasons, but transformed the car beyond belief.

Nick

Guest Neil.Pritchard

Hi . had zemmers on my 2b for 2 years until upgraded to gaz. I fabricated 2 lagre spanners to undo locking nuts to ajust ride heights

Cheers Neil.

the other way of adjusting the rear ride height is to move the top shock mounting. It is normally a tube pushed up into the rollbar tube with a bolt through.

If you have enough tube you can move it down and redrill the holes.

In theory you should have crush tubes inside the tube to stop them being squished when you tighten up the nut. For SVA i had to photo them as you can't see once the tubes are in place.

hth