Omex Push In Coolant Sensor

flameredturbo

After discovering my loom wasn't built to use the standard zetec temp sensor even though the map sold with it on the omex was. I've had to get a sensor that pushes into a 13mm hole that you drill into the thermostat housing. Anyone have the same sensor? It's an omex item. I'm not sure I'm going to trust it.

Further to this after speaking to omex today, they do a screw in sensor that will fit the plug on my loom, I'm thinking I can tap it into the coolant pipe, not the thicker one that runs from the rad but into the thinner one from the pump upto thermostat housing. Correct?

Below is the set up I'm using.

post-8870-0-28740400-1395142024_thumb.jpg

What is the wall thickness of the pipe, be careful there may not be enough metal to take a good thread that will seal O.K

Sorry I shouldn't have said tap, I was thinking of using johns welding skills ones again and welding a nut on to the pipe and simply screwing it into that.

That pipe is closed off by the stat when the engine gets up to temperature. It will not read true engine temp above about 85C. You could alter the take-off for the warmup bypass to the other side of the standard housing which is used for the heater flow and is always open. However you run a slight risk of reduced rad flow. I would be prepared to chance it and if it runs hot as a result to put some sort of restrictor in it.

The temp sender could go in the yellow lines and read OK in the altered pic below.

Nigel

post-21-0-44285800-1395146460_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That pipe is closed off by the stat when the engine gets up to temperature. It will not read true engine temp above about 85C. You could alter the take-off for the warmup bypass to the other side of the standard housing which is used for the heater flow and is always open. However you run a slight risk of reduced rad flow. I would be prepared to chance it and if it runs hot as a result to put some sort of restrictor in it.

The temp sender could go in the yellow lines and read OK in the altered pic below.

Nigel

Brilliant, I had a feeling that might be the case when I looked at the diagram again. Slight re plumb or off with the housing and just drill it. All much of a muchness.

Edited by flameredturbo

On second looking a replumb is the only sensible option as the engine would need lifting out for me to be able to remove the thermo housing!

The outlet on the right that I have plumbed off at the moment looks smaller?

Edited by flameredturbo