Iva Help

Guest lewthepoo

Guest lewthepoo

Does anyone know how I can get hold of an IVA tester at local station to talk about my car? I have tried DVLA who put me in touch with my local station (Leighton Buzzard) but they have put me back onto the DVLA, not getting anywhere.

Need to talk to a tester to discuss if they are willing to pass my monocoque because I do not want to spend any more time or money if will fail.

Guest davidimurray

Do you particulalry want to talk to the guy at Leighton Buzzard or will any inspector do? I have the mobile number for the Llantrisant inspector but obviously different inspectors will have slightly different opinions.

Guest lewthepoo

I have covered all of the chassis strengthening areas on the link. The problem I have is that (according to Simon at GBS) some examiners will refuse to pass monocoque chassis. The local test station to GBS have refused them before unless they have a ladder frame chassis built inside them. I am reluctant to pay the money for the test only to be told that they will not accept, hence the reason I would like to speak to examiner before hand to get his opinion.

I think it is ridiculous that the examiners opinion comes into play, the chassis construction regs should be black and white but unfortunately they are not.

It doesn't necessarily have to be Leighton Buzzard but the further I have to travel the more it will cost me.

Norwich passed mine, I think Chris went to Greenford

The original monocoque problem was with the Lightweight

The seat support structure I fitted and perhaps 2 square tubes on top of the tunnel from boot area to engine bay bulkhead would be more than enough and provide a route for loom and brake pipes.

Mine run under the folded edges and were tough to fit.

Not an IVA issue but the steel dash front would be better cut out and a removable ply one put in its place

Guest Chris Russ

Hi Lewthepoo!!!......As all the previous posts, I also went through this trauma with my Exmo last year, I too rang GBS & they gave me the same info & tried to sell me a Zero kit to transfer my parts onto!!!! -- BUT stop panicking, mine passed ( second attempt, but nothing to do with the monocoque construction! ) at NORWICH last year!

My advice is to make sure you reinforce the rear panel of the body, seat belt mountings & seat mounts - I had a large aftermarket roll-bar fitted & I incorporated the mountings to the rear panel by a steel bar right across the back panel, this also helped spread the load of the seat belt harness!

My fail details are listed on a posting on this site, but if it will help you I think I've still got some pics of the mods/reinforcing to the rear panel & seat belt mounts,- inbox/message me your e-mail address & ill get them to you?!

* Just to highlight again the previous posts - it would appear to be the early lightweight car that had most of the problems with IVA *

Don't give up & Good-Luck!!

Guest Chris Russ

.........In addition to my previous post, ive just found a copy of my IVA pass certificate - the examiner at Norwich was Mick Payne, I found him very fair & helpful during the test......might be worth a call??

Guest lewthepoo

PM sent Chris. GBS also tried to sell me a zero, spent too much time on this to give up on it though. I will look at changing my seat belt mounts but I think the work I have done at the rear and with the roll bar is strong enough. Looks like I'm heading to Norwich...could be worse.

Interested to know what you have done for rear end strengthening as I am in same boat as you. Pretty sure I have it covered but always good to see what else has been done.

Have you added a bar for the harnesses to pass over?

What have you done for your mounts at the moment?

Edited by theduck

Guest lewthepoo

Yes I have added a bar for the belts to pass over, I also considered mounting the harness points to this bar but hopefully just passing them over will suffice. At the bottom of the main roll bar tube I have mounted a square piece of 3mm thick steel plate that is welded to the roll bar and also bolted through the boot floor for added strength.

Where the roll bar extensions attach to the rear of the car I have attached the rear seat belt mounts and between these I have added a piece of angled steel that the seat belt/roll bar extension bolts go through. So the bolts go through the seat belt mounts, then through the roll bar extensions, then through the rear part of the chassis, then through the piece of angle that is also bolted to the chassis. I hope that makes sense.

I will post some pictures later on when I get home