Help! Going Backwards! Starter, Inlet Manifold And Timing!

flameredturbo

Which omex are you running?

Have you checked the base timing? I.e with a timing light while the engine is cranking over by and pulling the fuel pump fuse/relay

Tb balance makes a massive difference to how smoothly things run. I have had mine popping and banging back out the manifold and running like a dream after setting the balance.

Not checked anything with a timing light no, it's a crate lump so assumed the timing is correct, I will be burrowing a timing kit to check though.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi no his not running or needing an eddis. The omex has spark drivers built in

Yes the crank sensor is plugged in and working but the car cranks with the same symptoms as if you turn an old style dizzy to far as in it will crank 2/3 turns then cough back with quite some force

The car starts it runs for maybe a second or two if started with full throttle .

It's deff got an air leak from the manifold cos it's so poorly machined the flat edge we checked it with actually rocked so as a temp measure we applied silicone to fill the gaps !! However the air leak is an easy fix what we can't seem to get round is the advance spark problem causing the engine to lock/stall on cranking !!

So does anyone have a good known base map for a 2.0 zetec they can e mail flameredturbo so we know we have a starting point or a way or setting to retard the advance on an omex 600.

Omex 600 does not run using eddis it controls spark it self and timing.

can you plug a lap top in to omex and check signals

Having a knock on the crank sensor sound likely get a new sensor / from scrap yard and try that /

or first unbolt it to see if it looks damaged. also could be damaged to fly wheel from starter.

Stephen

Omex 600 does not run using eddis it controls spark it self and timing.

can you plug a lap top in to omex and check signals

Having a knock on the crank sensor sound likely get a new sensor / from scrap yard and try that /

or first unbolt it to see if it looks damaged. also could be damaged to fly wheel from starter.

Stephen

I'll take it off and check, I might even be able to lay my hands on another to test it.

Another random and probably wrong idea.

Clunking starter and failing crank signal. Is the flywheel fully fastened up and not wobbling about?

As I said, random and probably wrong....

This was a concern at first I must admit but I torqued it on with new bolts and when it's run and cranked over and over it doesn't wobble or clunk.

Timing is correct, so that rules out mechanical timing causing issues.

After ripping apart the loom further today and discovering other horrors ontop of the one blue had discovered I'm hoping there's a chance that my problems are down to electrical gremlins.

One of the problems was that the loom seemed to be made with two + feeds for the starter or they where at least wrapped together so my brother wrongly assumed one was an earth and wired it up to the neg to earth it!

The other problem I think was being caused by my fan relay which isn't used but still had a feed on my switched ignition, the same part of the loom I was using to feed the omex switched +.

My only worry now is it may have caused damage to the crank bearing with all this clunking I've been having! There was a nasty noise that I'm fairy sure only happened while the starter was cranking but I'll not rest easy until I'm sure!

hope you haven't damaged engine it has got to be a timing firing problem if the miss firing was that bad I would also check cam belt and cam position if it jumped that's if you haven't already checked it

Edited by tractor

That's what we checked today, didn't do a compression test as I guess there was no need. The mechanical timing was all good.

The guy I spoke to at omex on Friday did say that kickback shouldn't damage the engine.

I'm going to get a fresh map from them or a known good one before I try again. Few odd jobs to do before then though.

Edited by flameredturbo