Duratec Conversion - What Carbs Tb's To Go For

Guest shaggy

Guest shaggy

All

A member (Morris who doesn't have access to the forum asked m to ask the question on his behalf.

He has recently bought duratec engine, and would like advice on what fuelling other people have experience with.

He is unsure as to whether to go for bike carbs, or TB's. Also what ignition set up would be recommended.

Answers on a postcard (or replies will be forwarded to him via email.

TIA

Si

Guest alfaGTA

Does it need to pass IVA? or tight emissions?

Whats his budget?

40mm Bike carbs (R1, ZX9r etc etc), megajolt for the sparks and a DanST Aluminium inlet manifold to join the two and it'll run well after a rolling road tune.

Engine's are engines and don't mind where the fuel/sparks come from..........

Bellhousing, clutch, flywheel are a bigger concern with that engine.

mine is jenveys with omex 600

whats it going into ?? with a 2b, you impeded a bit by the top chassis rail ... needs a manifold that looks up a bit to clear, with the 1st manifold i had, the jenveys missed the top rail by about 1/4"

if its going into a 2b i can possibly dig some photo's out as to how i got over other issues

dave

To add a little info... His car is registered and he's swopping from pinto to duratec

The engine is new

Yes Dave it's a 2b wishbone. All tips and advice welcome.

Mitch

Edited by Mitch

Guest davidimurray

Have been pondering the same question myself as I fancy going Duratec - can afford the engine just the cost of everything else is the problem. Generally I think most 40-44mm carbs should be ok. Have a look at ebay USA as there are some very cheap carbs and Tbs available, which even following shipping and tax are cheaper than UK. Depending on how much power you are looking at fuel pump could be an issue. Discovered that the my ZX6r pump was also used on the Zx9r so it should be good for 144bhp!

mine is the sliding pillar 2b, so not sure how different the relavant bits of the wishbone version is?

mines running the 2.8 capri box with the titan hydralic bell housing... think you can get a cable one, may make things easier, if there is room for it.... i made my own rear water connect, its a lot shorter than the standard item, and i still had to chop a section from the top tube at the rear of the engine bay (plugged the ends of the tube and made a replacement bolt in section to retain strength) bear in mind here the longer bellhousing was making life easier for me here, as it pushes the engine forward an inch

i also chopped out the plough tube underneath and re jigged the engine mounts

as i wanted to go over the top rail with the exhaust, i also moved the pedal box about a lot,

if one of you wants to pm me n email addy will send you what photo's i took (and can still find)

• 1 month later...

I did a Duratec convesion on my 2B a couple of years ago.

Have kept the Ford Mondeo set up with standard inlet manifold Ford 'Blackrock' ECU. Kept the Type 9 gearbox but changed to a hydraulic clutch.

Had to mod the prop' shaft and gearlever linkage but engine fits within the bull bar provided you use a shorten sump.

If you want a bit more info or photos pm me your email.

Good luck

Robbie