Sierra Lsd Fix

Guest wargob

Guest wargob

The recent addition of extra power caused my Sierra RS cosworth LSD to slip as the power was applied i could feel it lock but then gave out at 200BHP mark around 5000rpm and would not hold for the rest of the revs, so the remainder of the track day i had to feed the power on steady until 5th and 6th gear. I did some research heard lots of bad press about quaife lsd witch is £1000 and lots of machine work to the diff casing to get it to fit. I then found a company called bara motorsport who can pump up your standard LSD they use thicker silicone grease and 44 new friction plates, they did the work wile i waited and dynoed it to check the friction, it cost me £260 witch was well worth it, once locked it can hold up to 600nm of torque. i cant believe the grip that the car now has i can stamp on the pedal out of the corners and use all of the power it has transformed the car !

http://www.baramotorsports.com/

Edited by wargob

As they did this while you wait I assume they just change the fluid and pumped the pressure of the bubble up

Not a bad business model

Your thoughts on the Quaife ATB sounds more like a justification of why you did not go that route

It is of course your choice and there are 3 types of diff, the Sierra viscous diff, the well known plate diffs where you can control the diff by ramp angles

690A2BF5-ADB8-4B6F-A6DC-0D00B49C8CEF.jpg

And finally the ATB variant all done by gears

Said to feel more like the viscous diff so unobtrusive, also does not slam in like some over aggressive ramp diffs.

I'll let you know as I have one fitted in a Sierra casing that I picked up for not much more than you paid for the pump up

Edited by Snapperpaul

Guest wargob

I was going to go the quaife route but 1/4 of the price was worth the risk to me to give the pump up a try and I'm so glad i did its amazing i had a real problem with slipping now its pumped up i have no slipping at all. The quaife ATB may give the same end result and people who use them swear by them, I'm just saying it's by far the best mod I've done to the car.

Please let me know how you get on with yours tho...?