Speedo Cable

Guest Tiger78

Guest Tiger78

Hi fairly new to this so here goes...my speedo cable is broken and looking to replace - I have taken this picture but was trying to source a new cable. any ideas from there pictures? Thanks in advance for your help!Tim

post-13062-0-83205100-1396342861_thumb.jpeg

post-13062-0-35496100-1396342862_thumb.jpeg

Guest chris brown

A right angle drive you don't see them very often ( a bit like rocking horse poo). There should be a circlip holding the old cable in. From your photo it looks like the outer has broken and then the inner. Once you get it apart you will need a new cable. I think the standard Sierra one fits the angle drive but if not then it is one from a Granada which had the angle drive.

Guest Tiger78

thanks for the responses - I just presumed this was a terminating end. did have a look last night for circlip but nothing obvious on this. the previous owner took it off so im trying to do a bit a tracing.... I will google the speedo cable and see what can be found.

Guest chris brown

From the photo it looks like there is an internal thread so it may screw out. If not try unscrewing the steel bit that the broken cable goes into. I have not seen one that is threaded before.

That looks like the adapter speedy cables used to sell for the type 9 gearbox. Looks like it has been through the mincer. The twisted remains of cable you can see is whats left of a two inch length of square drive cable that goes into the gear box. There would also be a washer on the end of the tube in the picture which goes in to the gearbox hole and is held by a circlip.

Try to remove the remains of the cable. Vice and pliers? Then see if the mechanism still turns. The square 'Nipple' is the output. The remains of the cable the input side. If it still works then you could weld a suitable washer on the input side and find a new drive cable.

Nigel

Will draw it a diagram

Guest Tiger78

We'll tried to remove the remains of the cable with no joy - seems to be spinning freely just need to get old cable out and new one in....

Almost looks like it has come off and dragged along the road. Can't get under the car just yet as my jack is to big to go under.

Guest Tiger78

Right started to look at electronic version - so growing arms and legs and cost.... Anyone know if you can put a cable straight into the box without right angle dive as they seem very rare. E-mailed a few companies today and they all say no stock!!! Now I know why the previous owner left it!!

Guest Ian & Carole

I have the std. Sierra cable fitted, been on the car now for 11 years with out issue.

Pain to get secure in the gearbox, space preventive, comes through a hole in transmission tunnel along the front of my seat and gently curved up the side panel and round the scuttle to the speedo head.

The issue is to prevent any tight bends as they kill cables in no time.

Guest Tiger78

I have the std. Sierra cable fitted, been on the car now for 11 years with out issue.

Pain to get secure in the gearbox, space preventive, comes through a hole in transmission tunnel along the front of my seat and gently curved up the side panel and round the scuttle to the speedo head.

The issue is to prevent any tight bends as they kill cables in no time.

Thanks - so is it a different connection to the box then as the right angle I had had different both sides.

Apologies for the questions

Thanks

Tim

Guest Ian & Carole

http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2054897.l5662

Tim

If you look at the image you can see the flat plate end of the cable that fits flush in the tail shaft of the gearbox and is held in with a circlip.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2054897.l5658

Then bring the cable into the cabin and as I said last night avoid any sharp bends.

HTHs

Edited by Ian & Carole