Buying Advice

Guest bigeein

Guest bigeein

Hi all

I've been on this site a while ago when I was thinking of getting into owning a hood . I have that notion again but one or two things concer me and im looking for some good advice. If you could offer me some advice and buying tips that would be great .

First of all , will i fit in one and manage to travel long distances without feling too uncomfortable im 6ft 3" and a chunky monkey.

.Whats a fair price for a good standard of hood .

What common pitfalls should I be looking out for when doing a deal .

I am switched on with cars , but not self build kits .

Is it possible to change the body panel covers without to much work ( I hate British Racing Green / yellow)

Why are the rear wheel arches always fitted so high above the wheels , looks weird .

Bike carbs yes/no

Storage and maintance is not an issue . I've got a big garage .

. Running costs . Maintance .Events .

Im in scotland , no distance to far for prospective purchase for the right hood (fife) the home of scottish motor sport .Thanks all Ian

Hi, I'm 6'4" and fit in mine ok, in fact a local member sat in mine at a show, then bought a 2b.

Best bet is to go to a local meet or to Stoneleigh next weekend, say hello and ask, we don't bite very hard!!!!

Nick

Hi Ian I'm in Dunfermline welcome to the club I will PM you my number I have a Zero and ickle and Obecanobe have 2B plus's you would be more than welcome to pop along and try for size sometime we can all meet up.

Andy

Guest chris brown

.Whats a fair price for a good standard of hood .

What common pitfalls should I be looking out for when doing a deal .

Is it possible to change the body panel covers without to much work ( I hate British Racing Green / yellow)

Why are the rear wheel arches always fitted so high above the wheels , looks weird .

Bike carbs yes/no

. Running costs . Maintance .Events .

Hi Ian

1/. Look at paying around £3500 for a decent 2B more if engine has been changed for red top or zetec etc. but don’t be put off if it has a pinto as they are bomb proof and make the car an excellent touring car

I personally would look for a stainless chassis and panels rather than mild steel

2/. Check it is correctly registered as Phil says you will be surprised how many are not so have never had SVA

3/. Panels are not easy to change if it is just colour you are worried about then just paint them.

4/. The rear wheel arches are supposed to be high that is how RS designed the car to look

5/. Bike carbs are a good mod not as good as injection (throttle bodies) IMO but cheaper

Guest bigeein

Thanks Chris ,

Painting them wouldn't be to expensive , I suport film rap would be an opinion as well .

Thanks phill and the duck

Edited by big ian

Guest snowy2

dont assume that your car will be as reliable as a regular car.....or as dry......or warm inside......if however your willing to accept a few compromises and are willing to get stuck in and use some spanners occasionally you will be fine.

Oh and dont ask daft questions like "where do i buy a new 2b radiator from" you see the thing about kit cars is that they get built by folks who use what they have or fits, there is generally no list of parts that fit just expertise gained by trial and error. lots of the questions can be answered here, and there will be common parts fitted to lots of cars....your car could be an odd ball and have some very strange parts on it. a little research will get you the information you need.

When you get your car dont assume that a current MOT is an indication of its build quality...check the car over thoroughly, and find out what works and what doesn't. for instance leave it ticking over and check the fan cuts in, simple things like that can save you a lot of grief later.

Don't get all hung up on its performance or what kind of induction it has, even a weedy 100hp engine will be a lively performer and give the car 0-60 times below 8 seconds which in normal cars is a fair bit of money to buy. Its better to buy a good looking well sorted car with a 1300 engine than a tatty unreliable 250hp screamer. Why? well the big horse power when all said and done is only fun the first few times you use it, is not possible to use for more than a few seconds and if you cannot drive very well of no real use to you anyway (which is true of about 99% of folks, almost no one is as good as they boast they are.) so ultimately your driving a tatty old dog which you will be embarrassed to park anywhere and it will severely lessen the enjoyment of owning the car. whereas a good looking car will always be fun to drive and even if its not "fast" will be a riot to drive and no less enjoyable for it. plus an upgrade to the performance is always an easy option but tidying a rough car can be soul destroying.

Guest Tim Norman

1185968_10151691967403645_737959534_n.jpg

The rear arch doesn't need to sit so high. I made mine sit much closer to the tyres.

Mine is a little bit more powerfull than some of the others and it is always fun even when I am just plodding around. The torques are handy too!

Edited by Tim Norman

Guest snowy2

Tim.....just noticed your comment about your kitten.....as a fellow cat owner i thought i ask, did it all work out in the end for you and the Kitten?....would have PM you but as you dont know me i thought it would seem rude.

Guest Tim Norman

The Kitten is still a work in progress, but so far.

Engine removed from front and sold

1380 MED A Series Engine with 45 DCOE and modified stage II LCB installed in the rear

Fuel tank installed in front

Big radiator fitted

Rear Roll cage modded and fitted

Custom Protech Shocks and springs waiting to be picked up

Still lots to do but not in a rush to finish.

Guest Tim Norman

Assuming you meant the car Kitten!

The cat kitten is ok now although it was touch and go for a while and a few operations.

Fortunately she is insured otherwise we would have been £3k in the hole!

Edited by Tim Norman

Guest snowy2

i got a Kitten based Kit car as well registered as a Reliant Kitten Sports (2 seater and since reliant never made one it can look like i want it to) loosely based on the ron champion car chassis, but incorporating the whole kitten front subframe. the engine however has been moved rearwards by about10-12 inches. i thought the reliant engine and box would be fine for it. it will only weigh about 350-400 kg.

But yes i did mean the 4 legged Kitten ;-) :) ours aren't insured (strays ....adopted) you were lucky.