Sva Compliant Exhaust Joint

Jon Bradbury

Where can I get an exhaust clamp to seal the RHE manifold to the tail pipe? I think an ordinary U-bolt will not do because the bracket bit doesn't have radiused edges. And speaking of the joint, is it necessary to use some kind of exhaust joining compound here or can you get away with bolting it up tight?

I'm not SVA'd yet, but here's what I've done:

1) Get a worm drive clamp specifically designed for exhausts. Demon tweaks (much as I dislike them) do them for a few quid. Mine is made by mikator or mikalor or something like that. Stainless ones are available too and still cost under a tenna.

2) Cut two slits in the outer tube (double hacksaw blade thickness is what I did) for about 1.5 inches. This allows the outer pipe to close and grab onto the inner one.

3) Get some exhaust jointing compound (about 3 quid from halfords) and put that on the joint. Only do this when you're ready to start the engine because it won't set until it gets hot. When you do start it run it very gently for the first 10 minutes or so, otherwise you'll just blow the coupound straight out of the joint.

Ant

No photo, or at least not one where you can see it, but if you imagine a larger and stronger version of a radiator hose worm drive clip then you're not far off. It has about a 6 or 8 mm set scres to secure it rather than the screw on a radiator hose clip.

Guest Dave Pickett

Hi guys,

my s111a just slots in with no clamp and passed the sva last July, and does not seem to leak either. Suggest you go for the sva expecting to fail then at least all you have to do is fix the things they find rather than what you think they might find.....

I had all sorts of worries but ended up with just 6 minor problems solved in a day. Suggest noise is a bigger problem than this joint but mine registered 91 db, well inside the limit and is still very noisey on the road (great!!)

Guest Dave Pickett

Hi guys,

my s111a just slots in with no clamp and passed the sva last July, and does not seem to leak either. Suggest you go for the sva expecting to fail then at least all you have to do is fix the things they find rather than what you think they might find.....

I had all sorts of worries but ended up with just 6 minor problems solved in a day. Suggest noise is a bigger problem than this joint but mine registered 91 db, well inside the limit and is still very noisey on the road (great!!)