Windscreen Glass Safety

Steve49er

Guest ickle

After first hand experience of what happens when on the scotland tour last month....

highly recommend get that toughened glass screen removed asap

Scary thinking about how worse it could have been. Gutted I lost my sunglasses to show all how peppered they were.

Stuart.

Hi Everyone not been on in a while SORRY.

Read through all the comments I have a " Spare Screen " that the previous owner of mine ordered when he had GBS build the car so hope that would be able to be used as TEMPLATE to produce new Screen ? It is located in my Loft somewhere :lazy: :acute: Keep me posted and if needed as pattern I am sure I will be able to move it out of Loft :diablo:

Thank you Everyone :clapping:

Hi all, I am pretty sure you can tidy the rough edges with a sharpening stone(the ones you would sharpen up wood chisels with) maybe an option as would guess one would not be too expensive. The glass supplier should also be able to do this without going to the expense of machine polishing the edges.

I made a cardboard template and had a piece of laminated glass cut at a local glass company.

The first one was just cut with sharp edges and I cracked that as I fitted it !!!

For the second attempt I got them to sand the edges - not as good a finish as polishing but it takes all the sharp bits off.

My screen's a couple of inches taller than the standard 2B and it's been in for a couple of years now with no problems.

I took the template in one day & picked up the glass the next - they charged £50 all in, for the glass and sanding the edges.

Had the quote back from Ricky Evans Motorsport Ltd. this is the reply:

"As a one off we can do this with dressed edges and E-marked for £100 + VAT,

unfortunately there is no saving for multiple items as it takes just as much

time, unless we were talking in batches of 20, then there would be a

significant saving.

For your chap that wants in heated we can do this I would just need the

sample for a while, he can expect it to be In the region of £280-£310 + VAT,

you might want to mention that and if he is still interested it would take

about six weeks."

Bloody hell, that's more than I was expecting, even for the non-heated :( a production car screen, massive by comparison, curved, @195+vat... a tiny thing for us, and completely flat, for £280+vat? Surely much easier to cut/fabricate? MG Midget windscreens at @33.60+vat laminated?

Just trying to understand how he got to that price :S I certainly am not interested in the heated one any more.

Guest JammyJim

Just fitted replacement lam screen cut for me by local glass works for £33.50 its not e marked but who checks, and it's got to be better then the toughened that I had fitted.