Sierra Rear Drums Squeaking Like Hell.

Pete Mar

Gent's, a little advice please.

I am having real issues with a very loud Squeak for the drum breaks on the rear of my Zero. I have had them apart and put copper grease in all the right places, give them a good rough up and cleaned the dust out Etc. I have also put a leading edge on the Shoes. Is there anything more I can do?

I am wondering if it is the shoes them selves that is the problem maybe very hard material Etc, do any of your gents have a make that you use and recommend?

The car has done just over 300 miles since I got it passed the IVA and got it on the road.

Cheers

Pete

I fitted a set of cheap & cheerful shoes from my local factor 12 years ago.....no squeak, still loadsa meat on them.

Try a small chamfer on both ends of the shoe, and wet & dry on the drum inside face.

Also f inish off with brake cleaner fluid (or isopropanol)

Can you post a picture of the setup with the drums off ?

When does the squeal occur ? All the time or only applying brakes ?

Have you got the shoes on the right way round and not swapped them ( I know as that is something I did when I was a poor student *cough* years ago ... :) )

Simon.

Also, are the linings shiny ?

You may be getting brake fluid contamination. Have you checked brake fluid level ?

Possibly weeping cylinders etc.

Could also be grease from the new wheel bearing leaking out. etc.

Simon.

Edited by Simon B

Why not pop down to euros and change drums, pads and hydraulic cylinders.

Cost me £60 for a 2.0 sierra. Then you know if its something else.

Bearings should be fine unless they're damaged during installation. If its a brake noise, then do the above first.

Also, is the drum getting warm without use. Take it from cold down a long road without braking and come to a stop on the gears or with as little brake as possible. If it's warm you've either got a sticking return or handbrake not adjusted correctly.