Can Someone Make Me A Vin Number?

Guest mdav1970

Guest mdav1970

Hi,

Can anyone come up with a VIN number for me that will contain the letters MGD, for my series 3 RH? or am i just being lazy. :lazy:

I did look on wiki but it didnt realy make sense to me.

Cheers.

Guest mdav1970

Actually that's pretty good, thanks for that. How does the IVA folk know if its already used? Do i guess it goes on the forms or do they just computer check at IVA test?

Guest peter2b2002

dvla made mine up for me , he said we like to issue them ourselves to keep things in order, might have changed by now as that was 10 years ago

peter2b

Guest mdav1970

On another note, I'm nearing completion so how long does it normally take for the IVA to be booked, as I'm wondering if i should put in for it now if its gana take months. I live near Alton Towers so I'm guessing Derby is the one i would use..

Thanks.

Guest mastarforth

BE careful in issuing your own VIN

DVLA are being difficult on this and I had issues in registering my MEV, I created my VIN based upon instruction from DVLA instruction, when I went to register it, this would only accept the VIN if the Manufacturer gave it to me r the issued it.. I argued and argued and at one point it looked like I would have to do the IVA again. Im not saying don't create your own as I have on all of my kits to date, as DVLA change their minds daily but be aware

In that case, as YOU are the "manufacturer" of the car, I would make up some headed paper with the details on it.

So long as the number you create doesn't already exist (with about 10^26 combinations - highly unlikely :) ) you should be fine.

I made mine up and it was accepted (Even duplicated with some enterprising bright spark at DVLA substituting ZZ for 22 the second time around :) )

That would be my argument anyway. Just glad to have got through that hoop now :)

Simon.

Thanks for that, with the VIN number does it need to be on a certain size plate and where should i put them on the car?

Yes it does. Have a look at the IVA manual and Section 18 Statutory Plates.

Ian

Guest mdav1970

post-13087-0-71263700-1404122739_thumb.png

Hi,

So in the IVA manual it shows the VIN plate, do i really need all the stuff it shows.i.e weights etc..if so can someone please tell me what to put in, ive got the VIN number, but wouldnt know of the

1. Manufacturer - Is this Robin Hood?

2. Not used i guess

3. VIN i have

4. Maximum permitted laden mass of vehicle

5. As above but with towing

6. Maximum permitted laden road mass for each axle, listed in order from front to rear?

It also states the plate has to be completely welded to the car, i was going to make up an ally plate and rivet it to the inside of the engine bay, but this doesnt seem to be allowed anymore.

Also on the application for a VIN test it has:

4u. What is the engine maximum power AND the engine speed at ____BHP @ rpm

4v. What is the maximum design road speed of the vehicle?

My engine is a 2.0l ford pinto.

4f. Type of body. I put Sport convertable, is this right?

On the Amateur build decleration in the section 2. Where it askes for items fitted to the car by myself, if i obtained the car as a part built what am i best putting, that i fitted all the parts or not, dont know which is best for when it is inspected at the IVA? i did strip the front suspension off, rebuild the engine.

Sorry for so much just want to get these forms correct and sent off to get the test booked. Hoping to have it tested and failed..retested and passed by Donnington. :)

Thanks..Mark

77kW at 5500rpm will do on the form for a Pinto

100mph for the designed road speed

Body style - I put 2 seat sports but sports convertible is probably ok

These are what I used for my IVA.

In Section 2 of the amateur build declaration just tick every box. You don't want to getting into a duscussion regarding a part-built car.

YOU HAVE DONE ALL OF THE WORK YOURSELF!!!

edit:

Derby test centre is fine, both examiners are very helpful and give a fair test.

Edited by richyb66

Guest mdav1970

Hi,

The last thing that i need for the IVA application seems to be the Vehicle weights. Axle 1, Axle 2, Axle 3, Gross, Train, Towable mass,

I have found somewhere that they say the weight of a mark 3 is 670kg which i presume is Gross Weight, do i need to fill in the rest? and if so where can i find it as i also need this on the Chassis plate.

Thanks.