Speed Education Course

tractor

Guest Ian & Carole

well I have booked the pointless course two meanings which is £90 and the fine and points are £120 so a £30 saving oh no its not its £90 wasted

One point to bear in mind is .............. if you get "done" again with in 12 months you will be "gifted" the 3 points you have avoided by doing the speed awareness course and then given the new 3 points, so for a year you have a "suspended" over you head and you can't do the awareness again.

well I have booked the pointless course two meanings which is £90 and the fine and points are £120 so a £30 saving oh no its not its £90 wasted

Im sure it was your wife driving that truck on that day :diablo:

28 years clean licence, police class one advanced, pursuit trained, defensive tactic trained, TPAC etc etc and I can now proudly say that I have attended a Speed Awareness Course after being caught doing 35 mph in a 30. There is no excuse or defence for speeding. End of. We are all human and we make mistakes but I can honestly say that I learned a great deal from my course (and I was a Traffic Officer for 5 years) and it has changed the way I drive. Maybe I was lucky enough to do a course with an excellent provider, but its pretty arrogant for people to imply that their course was a waste of time... sounds like they will inevitably be caught again pretty soon...

It's not a conviction so you don't have to declare it. I'd take the course any day of the week ;-)

Interesting to note that my course was filled entirely with middle-aged professionals, including bikers and truckers. Someone remarked that it was clearly us older folk who are speeders these days, not the 'boy racers'.

The course instructor reassured us that the young speeders tend not to be eligible for the course as they are caught doing much higher speeds generally and don't get the offer!

Edited by enforcer
  • Like 1

Best story from my course was a young lady who couldnt understand why she had been charged.

She was doing 50 in a 40 limit, going down a hill, where the road then went up a hill.

She explained that she had to drive at 50 down the hill "so she could maintain 40 going up the other side"!!!!!

Guest Gargoil

28 years clean licence, police class one advanced, pursuit trained, defensive tactic trained, TPAC etc etc and I can now proudly say that I have attended a Speed Awareness Course after being caught doing 35 mph in a 30. There is no excuse or defence for speeding. End of. We are all human and we make mistakes but I can honestly say that I learned a great deal from my course (and I was a Traffic Officer for 5 years) and it has changed the way I drive. Maybe I was lucky enough to do a course with an excellent provider, but its pretty arrogant for people to imply that their course was a waste of time... sounds like they will inevitably be caught again pretty soon...

Personnaly, I don't think that it is arrogance. There clearly are differences in the courses provided. In fact I would go as far as saying on the course I did, the instructor was arrogant, , He just wouldn't listen to a different perspective, no matter what the subject. Because he was an ex driving instructor, he knew everything about anything, apparently.

I did take a few snippets away with me, I had handed over the cash and wanted my moneys worth so was intent on getting something out of the course, but I may as well have booked a cookery lesson. I may not have been any safer but my Yorkshire puds might have improved.

Yes, the law is the law, but if one particular law/code is broken so many times in a day, then perhaps that tells you something about that particular law? 70mph on a motorway was a figure that was made permanent in 1967. At a time when the maximum speed of most cars was around 70mph. It isn't today and all the figures have changed regarding stopping distances since then.On the other hand there are still 30mph limits near schools. I would impose a 10mph limit in these places when the school bell rings.

There again, I'm in favour of shooting the Spice girls (even after all this time), so what do I know?

Edited by Gargoil

Guest Drewsus

I was recently told be a very nice traffic cop , that although the cars are much better now.the road surfaces are not. And that 102 in a 50 is pushing it a bit! (5m am on a Sunday morning on a very long straight 3lane stretch of the A2)

He then gave me 3points and I am still very grateful and have definitely learnt my lesson this time! Although I wonder if when I was caught doing 36 in a 30 in North Wales, if I had been offered a course would I have saved myself another 3points?

Edited by Drewsus

Cars may have improved massivly since 1967 but have drivers and driving standards increased to match?

Surprisingly enough the UK is one of the best countries for safe driving in the world. :shok:

There are many polls and many facts and figures but we are consistently one of the best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Andi

One of my pet annoyances recently is not speed cameras but the growing number of idiots who carry on driving through red lights. I have seen more and more near misses.

I would be in favour of reducing the speed cameras since people know where they are now and with the "average speed camera" warnings, nearly everyone drives at or just over the speed. Usually at the speed though.

I would be in favour of red light cameras on EVERY set of traffic lights to catch these idiots and stop them racing through (and I mean they are accelerating through these lights) before they kill someone.

<rant over>

Simon.

P.s. Just heard that Dangermouse is coming back on screen --- Oh Carrots ! :)

I think as we all know speed does kill but traveling in a steel box at any speed is dangerous its not the people driving fast that scare me its the people who obviously don't care or think about anybody or anything else apart from themselves or people that while they may have a driving license they really shouldn't or in some cases they don't. whilst I do get on well with my mother inlaw she is one of the ones who shouldn't she will not drive on a dual carriage way if she can avoid it and flatly will not use a motorway which is a very good thing for the rest of us if I could film a shift driving a hgv you would think that's boring most of it would be and every now and again a car driver makes a completely illegal or suicidell manouver causing me to take emergency action still only a couple of weeks to go then its all over cant wait