Steve Walford Rolling Road, South Birmingham

RedTrev

During a winter (and spring!) of next-to-no use of the 2B I eventually decommissioned the distributor and got the Megajolt fitted to my 2 litre Pinto, which has an unknown cam and 38DGAS Weber. It seemed to run ok(ish) with no load, idle was rough (worse than it was with the distributor set-up) and when on the road seemed to lack some of the pulling power it had before, particularly in the low/mid band. I had “guessed” a basic map so wasn’t really expecting too much from it. So, after last week’s MOT (where The MOT tester said it seemed lean at idle and then running too rich) I decided to book a rolling road session.

I went to Northfield to visit Steve Walford Motorsport today and let Steve do his magic.

He checked a few things over then got the rollers rolling to work on the ignition map. This took a fair length of time before he was happy enough with it to start fiddling with the carbs. After changes to the idle jet, one of the main jets and, I think, the air correction jets too, he went back to the map and tweaked a few areas. (The MOT tester’s earlier diagnosis was correct BTW). Then he ran the rolling road to get the results of his hard work shown in the form of some nice graphs.

Well, it gave 112 bhp at the wheels (~140 at the flywheel), a good result.

I’d set the soft limiter in the Megajolt to just a smidge over 6k which Steve nudged up to 6.5k. He said it just seems to pull and pull, confirmed the cam is definitely not standard and overall it seemed a nice lump.

The drive home (M42, M40, A46 in rush hour) was not ideal to give feedback on the changes but during the short run to the motorway at the start of the journey it felt very responsive through the range. The idle is also much better, albeit still lumpy, but that’s “due to the cam”. I need to get it on the open road now (RichyB's Midlands run out to Wales springs to mind so I need to get planning).

I know Steve Walford's details are already on here somewhere but here's a link to his webpage to save you searching if you’re interested:

http://stevewalfordmotorsport.homestead.com/index.html

That wasn't the one I was thinking of but very useful. Pity you cant actually read other peoples reviews though unless I missed it?

Surrey Rolling Road near me gets good reviews. Anyone used them?

I'm looking for someone with good experience sorting out bike carbed engines with megajolt.